Converting a 6 x10 trailer for comp use?

Mrshaunyd

Knows what a fatty is.
Since getting my new to me cabinet smoker a thought has occurred to me about loading and unloading this 400ish pound smoker in and out of my truck when I am by myself or with my wife.

I was thinking about maybe converting a 6x10 cargo trailer into a comp wagon and installing a winch from harbor freight to help when I am by myself. Would not need anything fancy but functional. But am curious if it is doable as I know its not a huge trailer.

I did a search but kept seeing the pre built ones.

We worked out of a 6x12 for a few years. Our stuff fit easily, and we used it for prep work, turn ins, etc during the day and then converted it to a bedroom at night with cots. It was tight, and a 6x10 will be even tighter, but it can be done. If you can go wider, that would be a good idea.

Used a 6x12 for a few seasons. Wish I still had it. The only negative was the amount of set up/tear down and it could really only sleep one person without a lot of shuffling.

Depending on what you can tow, I'd go as big as you can tow/afford. We were looking at doing a 7.5' wide trailer when we purchased ours and after doing a full scale mockup on the driveway, immediately decided to go to 8' wide, and the cost difference ended up being $200 or so.

Love the new one, but I’m only a small percentage owner of it. That leaves me trailer-less most of the time. Still have a 600lb pit that requires a trailer.

It was a very nice Haulmark Aluminum trailer. Set up was very functional. Drive 80 with it anywhere on top of it. Don’t always need a LED TV. Little excessive for a secondary trailer only competing 7-12x a year

I cooked 3 years (almost 4) out of a 6x12, and I will be the first to tell you it's 100% doable.

Use your space wisely and make permanent fixtures for storage/shelves/prep tables. I was even able to install bunks for sleeping that folded up into the wall. We had portable AC and heat as the walls were insulated and it worked out great. We loved that little trailer, but we are VERY VERY grateful for our camper now :).

Back