Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

For those that are quick to say kick em to the curb, remember, these are people. People are stubborn, naive and just plain stupid sometimes. But a good boss gives people the opportunity and the encouragement to do better. If people are left to do their own changes how they see fit then most of the world would never change. A Leader leads, a boss gives orders. It's worth it to give people the reality of the situation and give them a chance to work it out first.

The question he must ask himself is with all the pages here of obstacles and hoops he has had to jump and sleepless nights not to mention the dollars out of pocket and his business being under a microscope(Being a New Establishment) is taking the chance on these type of people worth the risk?

With New Customers you get one shot most of the time.... When you have pleased one customer that customer will bring you 5 new customers on the average.... However if you offend one customer you would have offended 250 potential new customers because Bad news travels quicker than good news due to human nature.

I am merciless on cutting out bad employees.
People who are losers can't be trained, and must be fired.
Who are people who suck? Good question.
It's people who have no drive.
And Mosey along.
I want people with initiative.
Good companies have these people.
I know - I saw two of these people today
when I went to buy my barrel for a UDS. (nice and blue)
James T Warring Sons, Capitol Heights, MD.
Clean and ready to burn! $40.
Find the BEST Employees, charge high prices, pay them well.
MY M.O.

2. There are some people who simply spread dissension in a staff, these people need to be removed ASAP. For whatever reason, they cannot be happy, and if they sit in your staff long enough, they spread that unhappiness.
A friend of mine owns his own business (not in food service) and once hired a guy who was highly educated and seemed like a decent guy. He turned out to be manipulative and power hungry. Before he was let go, he had turned most of the staff against the owner (except for some previous and highly loyal employees) and wound up getting everyone hired since he was brought on let go.

ASAP is the operative word. Someone can do a lot of damage while the management waits for things to get better.

I had a employee actually fall asleep while standing on the line working the fryer station.

Imagine if he fell over...

Needless to say I left him go immediately.

I was a Police supervisor for 21 years and I had to have a good team approach. On more than one occasion I have pulled two Officers together and told them point blank that I was not asking them to be best friends, but that they did have to work together and act professional while they were at work. If they wanted to hate each other on their own time that was fine, but not to bring it to work! A few of them actually became friends after they worked things out. Some never did, but would be the first to back the other up since it avoided my wrath. I also hate drama and if after being warned neither of them has any obvious superior skills I would show them both the door. Great employees will make you look great, mediocre ones will make you look poor, and you can't fix stupid!

I was a Police supervisor for 21 years and I had to have a good team approach. On more than one occasion I have pulled two Officers together and told them point blank that I was not asking them to be best friends, but that they did have to work together and act professional while they were at work. If they wanted to hate each other on their own time that was fine, but not to bring it to work! A few of them actually became friends after they worked things out. Some never did, but would be the first to back the other up since it avoided my wrath. I also hate drama and if after being warned neither of them has any obvious superior skills I would show them both the door. Great employees will make you look great, mediocre ones will make you look poor, and you can't fix stupid!

Thank you for reassuring my faith that i'm not the only one with some compassion.

And to everyone else, I was presuming that the prized pig owner was smart enough to see through most people in the interview process. No one expects to carry dead weight just because they are people but people CAN change and if given the opportunity they choose not to, well thats on their own accord.

To start, my pedigree. I have either managed or owned a design firm since 1985, with primary responsibility for managing production and design for firms ranging from 4 to 30 employees. All of them ranged in education and experience from high school to Ph.D. educations. When I finally sold my company, I was managing a payroll that had reached close to $700,000 a year.

I love people and loved the interactions and relationships I built with people in my business, I consider many of them to be close friends, even now, some 6 years after I sold my interest in the company. The people I brought in, at a professional level, have all gone on to either run firms or have become educators and professors. All of that being said...I found that investing time in some people did not return benefit.

1. I realized over time and many mistakes, that when I have two people who bring drama and duel with each other, letting one go, often empowers the other to seek getting rid of anyone else they dislike. Getting rid of both, lets the rest of the staff know that professional behavior is not a choice.

2. There are some people who simply spread dissension in a staff, these people need to be removed ASAP. For whatever reason, they cannot be happy, and if they sit in your staff long enough, they spread that unhappiness.

3. If I give a person a chance, one chance, and explain that what they are unhappy with is the business process, and that it that, and they still complain every time, then they are always going to be a problem, they will eventually recruit others to their vision. The team is what matters.

There is no need for a condescending tone and justifying a demeaning tone with statistics lends nothing to your point. I am not claiming to be a great manager or any better than anyone else but i've had more than my share of dealing with people who boil over personal problems into the workplace without realizing it. Historically, in most of my cases it has been resolved by a simple but serious conversation. With that being said, you and I agree for the most part and your last statement is exactly what I was suggesting, but in reality it's their second chance. Their first chance was when you hired them.

New record day. Lunch started slow, but from about 1-2:30 there was a line out the door. Every square inch of the smoker was being used this morning, and by about 2:30 we had sold out of everything except a little brisket. Had to basically shut down until about 5 when all the dinner meat was ready to come off. I don't know how many hundreds of pounds of meat we went through today, but it was a lot.

Even better, nothing broke this week. Well, I better knock on wood since I still have to get through tomorrow. But no frozen pipes, no broken furnace, no broken fridge, plenty of propane, etc.

And I really need to start looking at a mobile smoker or vending trailer for this summer. The requests for catering are staggering.

New record day. Lunch started slow, but from about 1-2:30 there was a line out the door. Every square inch of the smoker was being used this morning, and by about 2:30 we had sold out of everything except a little brisket. Had to basically shut down until about 5 when all the dinner meat was ready to come off. I don't know how many hundreds of pounds of meat we went through today, but it was a lot.

Even better, nothing broke this week. Well, I better knock on wood since I still have to get through tomorrow. But no frozen pipes, no broken furnace, no broken fridge, plenty of propane, etc.

And I really need to start looking at a mobile smoker or vending trailer for this summer. The requests for catering are staggering.

Don't think I've posted in this thread so far, but I've been following your progress the entire time. It's actually this thread that continuously pulls me back into the madness that is Q-Talk.
I'm glad to see you've got your ducks in a row (as much as they can be) and that you're continuing to thrive. I wish you all the luck in the world with this endeavor. I'll make a sacrifice in your name because you're bringing the wonders of Texas brisket to your neck of the woods. Kudos, sir.

And of course, I jinxed myself by posting last night. Came in this morning and the steam table isn't working. We have a portable one that will hold a full size pan, but for the other hot items we'll have to get a little creative. That new double oven is going to be a life saver today.

And of course, I jinxed myself by posting last night. Came in this morning and the steam table isn't working. We have a portable one that will hold a full size pan, but for the other hot items we'll have to get a little creative. That new double oven is going to be a life saver today.

To read this post you have terrible luck, but you have great perseverance and are making your own luck. Keep up the great work. I am now mostly retired and no longer want to work that hard, but this country would be better off with more people like you how meet their problems head on and succeed.

Good, not that that is done, we can all stand back and stare aghast as Jeremy's trials continue.

A word of encouragement, while this might seem like a horror show, it is actually not at all unusual for a restaurant to have issues like this. A very experienced restauranteur friend out here, opened up a burger place and for the first few weeks, it was one thing after another, the worst ended up being the mechanical engineer undersized the kitchen electrical and gas circuits, and he could not run all of his fryers and stoves at one time.

I would pully my hair out going through all this. My head is shaved but I'd still pull my hair out. Keep chipping away, Jeremy.

Yes, the life of starting with used equipment. If I would have seen this earlier, I would have asked if you turned it on. I have done that before. The stove makes a great warmer with full pans and using just one burner on low. Do you think it is a thermostat or a larger issue?

Good, not that that is done, we can all stand back and stare aghast as Jeremy's trials continue.

A word of encouragement, while this might seem like a horror show, it is actually not at all unusual for a restaurant to have issues like this. A very experienced restauranteur friend out here, opened up a burger place and for the first few weeks, it was one thing after another, the worst ended up being the mechanical engineer undersized the kitchen electrical and gas circuits, and he could not run all of his fryers and stoves at one time.

I had this problem with my last restaurant. What a nightmare.

I don't know how many hundreds of pounds of meat we went through today, but it was a lot.

I hope this quote is tounge in cheek as you should know EXACTLY how much meat you sold each day.

Lookin to get down there soonly! :thumb:

Back