Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

I'm going to give it a go this week. Been in the area a little over two years now and have yet to find consistently solid barbecue up here. Prized Pig was definitely the closest.

Hope they knock it out of the park.

Hey guys. Haven't been here in about a year. A lot has transpired over the past year, both good and bad. As some of you have already discovered, I'm back in the BBQ business. The Prized Pig is no more, but its BBQ will be living on. I've been brought on to help with a new BBQ restaurant opening not far down the road in South Bend. This time I'm not the owner of the business, but will be owning the BBQ and serving up prized pig Q.

We open tomorrow morning (health department willing) so if you're a local looking to get your BBQ fix again, I'll be here. I'l have more details to share in the future but just wanted to pop in and let everyone know I'm still around and back in the game, just with slightly different circumstances.

And you can always follow the progress on facebook at Fat Cap Smoked Meats. Thanks!
Sir,
I imagine you're pretty busy with your current venture. I just wanted to wish you much luck with it and tell you what a roller coaster ride this thread has been. Picked it up roughly a year ago and read it from the beginning. I caught up to real time about towards the end when it appears stuff started getting bad. I truly was concerned and worried about you and I'm glad to know you're back at it!
-John

Drove past the Fat Cap today in route to purchase supplies for my job. Next time I'm working nearby during the lunch hour, I'm stopping in. It was way too early for lunch when I passed today. I'm happy they are located in my area.

By the way, I wasn't sure exactly where it was, but had an idea. I passed it pretty fast, but looked in my rear view and saw rolling smoke. Made me smile.

Looking forward to the first of many visits.

I have been following your adventure and was sad to see you close up your business, but very glad you are back in the pits!! Best of luck!!

Just a quick update after a week in. Holy cow has it been an amazing response. We quickly moved to smoking 24 hours a day and pushing out a ton of meat and we still can't keep the doors open past 5. We're selling out of brisket and pork by 1:30 and then usually only have a fresh batch of ribs, tips, chicken, and sausage to last until about 4:30. This weekend people were lining up by just after 10 in the morning. The line quickly grew to about 70 people deep for lunch.

We've got two small temporary smokers parked out back to make for three smokers now to hopefully help keep the doors open a bit longer this week. We're also bringing over the smoker from The Prized Pig and going to get that installed and running by next week. That alone should just about double our capacity.

It's been a hell of a week. I worked 92 hours last week and am starting to feel it. But we've got a pitmaster in training this week to help reduce the load, but with smoking 24 hours we will probably need to find a third body to rotate in.

But it's all been worth it seeing all of my old customers coming in and so excited and thankful I'm back. It feels good to be back.

Back