Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

I stopped in to your place in September. Very very good. Iv told a lot of people. looking forward to my next drive west to stop in again. Love the chopping block.

just read the update. sorry to hear about the problems. I hate theif;s. and sorry to hear about the home life. I live in rochester, not to close but let me know if there is anything I can do to help. looking for new opportunities.

Damn Jeremy, Sorry to hear that. Stay strong brother.
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

A very "Insightful journey"... and I thank you for sharing your journey with all of us! I wish you the very best of luck in everything that you do brother! I too, like some others, have read this, and still desire to open a BBQ joint. I am not sure if I will ever be able to find the investment funds needed to embark on such an adventure, but daydreams still lurk about, and you never know what tomorrow brings....

Read this novel in alittle under 2 days. All i have to say is wow. Keep hanging in there and remember at least you have a packed house with all the issues

Weather permitting, I may be driving that way from Cleveland this weekend. Anyone know what the best time to stop in would be? Don't want to get there too late. Been trying to get the time to make the journey for some time now and may finally get the chance.

Congratulations. I wish you the best of success! You are coming from a business background, which I am sure places you way ahead of the curve, as far as start ups, go. I, too, think the place looks nice and clean. I will be looking forward to updates.

Took the day Saturday to drive from Cleveland out to the Prized Pig. Thankfully the snow held off until I was in South Bend, so once off the highway it didn't take too long to get there. Coming back was a different story and had it not been for a semi with flashers on at one point I likely would have spent the evening in a ditch.

I absolutely love the place. It is small but exactly what one would picture a BBQ place to be. To me, small is better than large and you can see where the attention goes. When you first walk in the outside door you look to the left and see a large menu board with their platter and meat prices. As you walk in through the second door you are greeted at the order station on your right and a very friendly girl. Lucky for me there was only a few cars in the lot so I was able to order right away. Since weekends were burnt ends days that is what I ordered. By the time I paid and walked around to the pick up counter, my tray was ready. The ends were delicious and had great flavor. Tried some sauce on one hunk but liked them better without. I did notice that the ends were quite a bit more lean than what I am used to buying. My ends always have a significant amount of fat in them. Still very tender though. :-D I have to say that the highlight was the Mac N Cheese. I don't know if Jeremy has posted the recipe here like he has the pickles, but I could have brought home a whole tray of that stuff. In fact I ordered an extra helping plus an extra platter to bring my girlfriend for lunch as she works nights at a hospital. Her text to me "OMG that macaroni and cheese... AMAZING!" (Still have some pulled pork to eat as well)

Anyway, I am glad I made the trip for some good BBQ and hope to maybe stop in again. Jeremy did say that this winter so far has been better than the last and I wish him continued success. After seeing the place, I sure hope he doesn't go bigger because a lot of the charm is in the location and building.

Thanks for stopping in Mike, and it was nice to meet another brethren.

As far as updates go, I'm spent. Mentally and physically. It's been a long six months and I'm not going to lie, it's been hard and makes you start to question everything. My lack of focus lately has shown and its wearing off on some staff. I've been so fortunate to have basically the same crew since I opened the doors, so I need to focus more on keeping the team together right now. I did have to let one long time person go a few weeks back, and that's never easy.

I do need a vacation though. Even if it's just four or five days, but something. I'm burning out I can feel it. Business is still amazing and the product is still coming out top notch, but I'm tired. Very tired. Some time off to allow me to regroup will help a lot I'm sure.

Otherwise, things are going pretty well. Today I'm dealing with another clogged drain and backed up toilet, so that's been a nightmare. Especially on a Saturday. But I've come to expect these things after a few years.

Oh, and I know some of you like details, so here are a few details as of recently.

Saying this winter was better than last winter is a huge understatement. This december's sales were up 135% over last December. January is up 145% . And so far this February is already 146% up over last year. I'm sure a large part of that is due to the better weather we've had, but still, I'm impressed with that growth.

And food cost has been hovering around 29% overall, which is helping a lot. This summer costs started to get out of hand with some of the beef prices, but it's looking a lot better these days.

Listen to the good advice from many others,Take a break.If nothing more than set it up where you have one day week that you are totally away from the business.I'm afraid if you don't,your body will take one when you least expect it. You know everyone is pulling for you man.

It's been a month, so I guess I'll pop in for a brief update.

Things are good. Saturday was a record day and it's only March. Sold out by 6. Granted, could have used the second smoker to squeeze out a little more meat, but it was busier than the busiest days last summer. It's awesome, but seeing this now has me worried about this summer. It's going to be madness.

It's getting so busy I hired some part-time weekend help this week just to try to keep up. And as soon as school is out I've got two college kids coming back. It still blows my mind that I'm going on my third year and still have virtually the same staff since I opened the doors. I'm so grateful for that and I think that has a lot to do with the ability to maintain consistency over the past few years. We're not constantly shuffling cooks around, having to train new people, re-learn procedures and recipes, etc. If I can say one thing, having heard all of the stories about employee turnover in this industry, I have to attribute much of my success to finding, and more importantly keeping, the right people. It's made all the difference in the world.

As to the issues about stepping away and taking a break, I've been addressing that slowly. I've now got four people with keys and are capable of opening and closing the restaurant without me. Other than two days a week, I can relax a bit knowing the place is in good hands every other day and I can step away if I need to. And I've been trying to a little bit more, giving myself at least about two full days away from the restaurant. Granted, stuff comes up sometimes, but having a solid day or two for sure away helps a lot.

The catering aspect is unreal though. Things are booking up so fast. It's already getting to the point where I'm turning people away because dates are booked up well into october. I've had to turn down a few 250 person events this week. It bums me out, but I guess it's a good problem to have. Ideally, I need a secondary commissary kitchen and dedicated smoker just to take care of the catering side.

I'm kind of thinking that would be the best option for expansion. Rather than worry about opening a second restaurant, or move into a larger space, find a space to lease for dirt cheap and just build out a kitchen and get a smoker in there to completely furnish the catering side of the business so the restaurant can focus solely on serving people that come through the doors. If the overhead is low enough it wouldn't be a big deal if there are some weeks where catering orders are light and it doesn't get used much. And it could simply be staffed as needed based on order volume, unlike a restaurant location.

I still have to noodle with the idea a bit and maybe find a little funding, but that's the direction I'm learning toward at the moment. Having that secondary kitchen would also provide the opportunity to get into packaging sauces, rubs, pickles, etc. for retail, which is something that's always been in the back of my mind.

So, that's kind of where I stand right now. Just gearing up for an amazing six months or so the way things are going. Time just flies so dang fast. So many ideas, so little time. Thanks for your continued support. None of this would have been possible without this site and the numerous helpful members here. I can't thank everyone enough.

Sounds like clogged drains are a norm for you. Maybe look at upsizing the sewer line and oil water separator as well as increase pumpings for the grease trap.

Maru,
I'm a late-comer to this thread, but I've very much enjoyed reading it all the way through. Congrats on your growing success! Your trials, tribulations, and successes have been a ton of fun to follow!

Good luck and continued success!

Red

Back