Old vintage berkel slicer worth keeping?

CakeM1x

is Blowin Smoke!
One of my dad's truck drivers gave him this old vintage berkel slicer. I don't know why he gave and it and I have NO idea why my dad took it, very unlike him since he has no want for this. He got it when I was in college so I had nowhere to put it and it's been sitting in his garage since.
5 years later I helped move it to my brothers place when he bought a home and now that I'm getting into doing all my own food and not relying on store bought deli meat/bacon/food in general, it's peaked my interest more to bring it to my home. But it's olddddd I think from the looks of it and wondering if it's worth adopting or waiting for a newer model slicer that is easier to clean/maintain/lighter? I'd probably have to store it in the garage under my work bench or on a dedicated cart cause it is heavy as balls. Here is a pic of the model?

mi1nas.jpg

Here is a pic of what the body of it I think looks like. Grabbed this off google images. Been a couple years since I saw it last.
30a8eux.jpg

Whatcha guys think?

No it's not. I'll pick it up tomorrow, and I'm a truck driver, so the circle will be complete! :mrgreen: Honestly, I'm sure it's an awesome machine if you don't mind finding room for it. If ya don't, I'd LOVE to take it off your hands!

That's my other concern is are the newer 12" slicers any smaller and/or easier to clean? This was one of the heavier things I've moved solo dolo and that was 2 years ago when I was 29.

Honestly that slicer would be no more difficult to clean than the new ones. If it was older you may have more parts, but still not that hard to clean.

The newer ones may be lighter but this has a real solid base. I would get a cart to put it on. If you store it in the garage, find a cover for it too.

Looks aweful, I have a brother and lots of relatives in Madison. Give me an address and I'll have one stop by and take this heavy sucker off your hands........ :)

Hell yeah, if it runs and slices, use it for sure, those old ones were built to last!

You can use the money you saved and build yourself a cart:-D.

KC

I've got one. Have no idea how old it is, but it is oooooold...and works great. I use it all the time. I would never part with it. Yours is missing two claws that you can use to hold down what you are slicing, but I never use those. Yours looks like it is self sharpening too. There should be a sharpening stone underneath the blade guard too. Sharpen that baby up and make some jerky! Also....be warned, it is heavy as fark! Don't blow your back out lifting it, get a friend and make him lift the motor side :) when you move it.

I've got one. Have no idea how old it is, but it is oooooold...and works great. I use it all the time. I would never part with it. Yours is missing two claws that you can use to hold down what you are slicing, but I never use those. Yours looks like it is self sharpening too. There should be a sharpening stone underneath the blade guard too. Sharpen that baby up and make some jerky! Also....be warned, it is heavy as fark! Don't blow your back out lifting it, get a friend and make him lift the motor side :) when you move it.

The picture of the whole model is one I grabbed off google images that looks like mine. The model number pic is the actual photo my bro took.

Looking at the model number in the first pic, I think the first two digits indicate that it was manufactured in 1952. The second pic shows a cord replaced with a modern grounded 3 prong.

I say check the condition of the motor bearings. With a 1/3 horsepower motor it is powerful and that 5.4 indicates run load amps. Use a simple clamp on amp meter to check the unit while it's running under no load. If it's below 5.4 amps and runs without too much bearing noise, you've got a good unit there.

On edit, see if there are oil ports to lube the motor and arm bearings.

Good Luck!

Keep everything meat related, everything!

Oh I agree but our house has limited space even at 2600 Sq ft. I have too many hobbies and this beast will take up valuable space. Probably will have to store under my bench in the garage until I figure out something else.

I picked a Berkel up off of craigslist. It works great when slicing up bacon! Heavier than my "portable" planer or chopsaw but does an awesome job.

-Alden

Back