THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm considering getting an over and under. Would using charcoal briquettes with wood chunks work with this smoker?

It probably would work, I think that you'd probably have to feed it so much charcoal though that you might get that unburned charcoal taste on the meat, but that's just a guess.

I was thinking the same thing when I got mine but it works so good with just splits that I haven't even tried it.

I'm considering getting an over and under. Would using charcoal briquettes with wood chunks work with this smoker?

I don't have one, but it appears that it should work fine. Academy's website says:

Fuel Type: Charcoal

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-over-and-under-smoker

Cook your favorite foods with ease with the Old Country BBQ Pits Over and Under Smoker. This smoker is designed with a heavy-duty, expanded-metal cooking grate and wagon-style wheels for mobility. The all-welded steel construction offers durability, while the large bottom shelf provides storage space for cooking essentials.

Features and Benefits

Heavy-duty, expanded-metal cooking grate
Made of all-welded steel for strength
Drop-away front table
Large bottom shelf provides storage space
Stay-cool spring handles for convenience and safety
Wagon-style wheels allow for simple transport
Specifications

Manufacturer warranty - general: Lifetime limited
Product height (in.): 53
Product depth (in.): 48
Product width (in.): 35
Product weight (lb.): 233
Fuel type: Charcoal
What's in the Box

Old Country BBQ Pits Over and Under Smoker
Temperature gauge sold separately

Last edited:
Academies descriptions are made up by some idiot who doesn't barbecue - it's going to run best on wood --it'll eat up the charcoal. Now grilling over charcoal in the fire box would work just fine.....

Last edited:
Academy is not the only offender...HD and Lowes and Walmart would all refer to the Over and Under as "charcoal smokers" They sell "electric, propane or charcoal" smokers- they don't have a heading for "stick burners /wood fired".

I guess you could burn chunks and charcoal in an O/U... might be 'spensive.

CvcIUpsl.png

Back