OK,I have to admit

This is true but first you would have to get some difinative answers from KCBS on certain subjects like this one. Is SKIN to be judged or not? Like Dave said judge what is presented. Like I said it is a meat contest not a skin contest. I have also had at least one CBJ instrutor and two reps tell me judge the meat not the skin. Personally I think this does nothing but help the cooks (at least the ones that don't get bite through skin every time) and that is the impression I got from the reps that made these comments.
There are some more that needs difinative answers that judges differ on. But I'm sure not going there right now :shock:.

But that's exactly the reason to do it, to have continuity from CBJ instructor to CBJ instructor and CBJ to CBJ. Otherwise, you have the CBJ instructor X-Factor.

From my judges training booklet, circa 2007

"If you do not eat chicken skin, at least taste it, if presented that way, and then discretely discard"

And..."Chicken may be presented with or without the skin. It may also be presented with a combination of white meat and dark meat or all one or the other. The type presented should not in any way affect the way it is scored."

I see nothing saying anything about not judging the skin. Still, I've tasted enough rubbery skin at the events I've judged that I would say, if it isn't good, don't present it. If it's in the box, it will be judged.

WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER.:clap2:
Dave

If the skin ends up smearing my beard with sauce - guess what happens to your tenderness score? Some days you just can't get the skin to come out right, so why not leave it off if it's that tough?

Last edited:
95% of the course could be done online. Look at the BBQ Critic website as an example. Pictures of boxes can cover all of the appearance pieces. You can't taste, obviously, but any instruction about what and how to taste can be covered consistantly through an online course. All judges and cooks can know first hand what is being instructed, eliminating these "I was told this in my CBJ couse" horror stories we get from time to time.

Great suggestion, Todd. Online courses have crossed my mind, too. KCBS is kind of cloudy on some issues with regard to judging BBQ for Appearance, Taste & Tenderness. So as long as they can define a judges duty in three areas in a THOROUGH, creative and concise way it will work.

Very little is taught on appearance and judges can really differ in this area as we can see on BBQ Critic. So yeah, with some improvements - an online process would be great.

The problem with the "chicken" judge is that they judged the skin.. I thought that is a no no. When I took the judging class, the instructor said that the skin was NOT supposed to get judged, that if the chicken was presented with the skin on, to taste it but not to judge it(regardless if it was bite thru, crispy or whatever), only the meat was supposed to get judged.

An instructor told you not to judge the skin on the chicken? Really? Wow. I was told that if skin comes with the chicken, we are REQUIRED to taste it and yes - it does factor into the score. It is up to the cook as to whether or not they want to leave the skin on. Some cooks go to great lengths to make sure the skin is BITE THROUGH. Judges will score down if they can't bite through. I definitely would NOT give it a 9. I'd deduct at least one point and that's it.

Are you sure you are remembering this correctly? If you are, this needs to be fixed. How long ago was your class?

Back