THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BGEChicago

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
none
Hi Guys,

Being a Midwestern guy, I know my way around beef and pork, heck I may even know a thing about a yardbird.. I put my training wheels on today and sought out some Blue Point oysters, yeah I know as much about these guys as I know about the sanskit language. I will tell you I "think" I bought them from a reputable merchant, Supreme Lobster, here in the midwest most restaurants buy seafood from them https://www.supremelobster.com/ I think most guys from my area would vouch. So here is a picture after 30 minutes.....
picture.php
[/IMG]

Am I crazy but shouldn't they be open by now? The grill is at least at 450.... Everything I have researched say they open up at 4 to 5 minutes at this temperature??

Anyway. I got skkidish and I shut the BGE down and they are still out there.. Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Greg

Much too late to be of any help, but they should have popped open after a couple of minutes. They don’t open like clams, but definitely will see a gap. After 30 minutes, they were probably either dead or you’ve made some oyster jerky!

Did you try them Did they open at all I was recently in New Orleans for a Conf Had charbroiled oysters at Acme and Dragos they were amazing Not good for my gout but did not care- took extra meds

I've done them before, but set them to the side of the hot charcoal (indirect cook) and
laid a clean wet dish towel over them for some steam.
Less than 2 minutes they were ready to open.

Hmmm, hope Greg didn't get sick or something from eating them. Figured we would of had a response by now.

His light is green so I think he lived! LOL!

I don’t make oysters but I do love my, clams, mussels, crabs, and Lobster!

The big thing I can tell you is to make 100% sure that the shellfish is alive before you cook it or you can get really sick. With clams the rule is to only eat a raw clam if it is closed and only eat a cooked clam or mussel if it opens up.

I got a bad raw clam on the half shell at a clam bar once and it didn’t hit me until hours later. It wasn’t a pleasant experience.

Here is one of my favorite meals in the world. Had it last night for dinner.

Last edited:
I have always found that oysters on the grill don’t always open on their own. Invest in a oyster or (even better) a clam knife. As soon as you see juices bubbling out of the shell remove, let cool for a minute and open at the hinge. If you wait for it to open it might be over cooked. Drizzle with drawn butter or mignonette or cocktail sauce.

He guys,

Thanks for ALL your advice, I though they would open up like mussels, I know nothing about these... So I just shut the BGE last night and ate a steak.. I went out this morning and you guys were right, they were slightly open! I went and bought another dozen tonight... I did shuck them already though! Again thanks to the brethren for all the advice!!!

Thanks
Greg

He guys,

Thanks for ALL your advice, I though they would open up like mussels, I know nothing about these... So I just shut the BGE last night and ate a steak.. I went out this morning and you guys were right, they were slightly open! I went and bought another dozen tonight... I did shuck them already though! Again thanks to the brethren for all the advice!!!

Thanks
Greg

Just make sure they are alive before you cook them. https://youtu.be/9Oh9MDQuYLw

Oops, I just saw that you shucked them. How were they??

Last edited:
Back