Oil spill effects

Before everyone goes on a tear over BP, They own the Rig. Haliburton Owns the equipment that malfunctioned. And there is yet to be an official explanation for what caused the explosion.

Worked in La. in oil fields for 10 years. Sources there say they are looking into sabbotage by an environmental group trying to get the point across about no offshore drilling. Several rigs and companies have been threatened with this type of action over the past few years!!

I am suspicious. It seems too coincidental that right about the time when we are FINALLY going to start drilling for our own resources, an off shore oil rib blows up?! I wouldn't be surprised.

Just sayin'

I'm with you 82. Way too coincidental. Off shore rigs have had a near perfect record since the Piper Alpha disaster in the North Sea back in 1988....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_Alpha

I wouldn't be suprised if it turned out that Rhom Emanuel gave the order for his boss.

this will make the exxon spill look like a joke. Its hitting at the worst possible time too. migratory birds mating, fish spawning, shrimp spawning, its gonna hit the beaches, I hope the can keep it out of the backwaters and marshes and mobile bay.

BP contracted the Transocean's "Deepwater Horizon" drilling rig to drill the well and Halliburton energy to case the well , "cement the casing pipe on the sea level floor" so the well head can deliver the oil up to the surface. Most likely what happened was the blow out preventer failed {located at the sea level floor} as the pressure increased it could or did not close then you have a blow out.. Also if the well head is not properly cemented a gas pocket can escape "burp" from the sea level floor . then rise and come up to the rig ,where it is ignited then it is history... Also , during this process if the pressures down hole have not been monitored properly ,the operation should have not been perfomed , thus causing the mishap... But what do I know....

From what I hear the main 1st explosion was above water line, somewhere on the upper part of the rig. Main oil leak occurred as the rig went down and damaged BOP (blow out preventer). This will be a tough one to cap in 5000' of water!!!

I really cant get this disaster out of my mind. It's so huge. This will affect the whole world let alone a few states. I believe every country that can should be helping with the containment and clean up.
The worst thing about this tragedy is the fact that we haven't needed oil for years now. If it were not for the power and money hungry elites there would be so many other sources of clean energy. Too bad the oil companies buy and bury all the clean energy ideas and patents and then force they're dirty commodity on the population. In the end we as citizens can really only blame ourselves for it is us who support these vultures by giving in to the bombardment of advertising. WE CONSUME TOO MUCH OF EVERYTHING!!

Who ever thought drilling for oil in the ocean's was a good idea?

P.S. I just think it is way to coincidental that haliburtons ( I spell it wrong on purpose ) name ends up at the epicenter of almost every disaster that occurs.

This all boils down to the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that the greedy lowlifes in charge of everything in this country have to extract from the rest of us. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing:

I may not have much but my conscience is clean. Not that those mentioned have consciences.

It may not be that bad. They made the same claims when the Valdez leaked, but I read where within a very short time, they were getting record catches, despite what the gloom & doomers had claimed. Nature has a way of fixing things.

I like the asian shrimp. Problem is, an hour after I eat em, I want to eat em again. :-D

photo-19.jpg

Before everyone goes on a tear over BP, They own the Rig. Haliburton Owns the equipment that malfunctioned. And there is yet to be an official explanation for what caused the explosion.

This is a very level-headed post and I agree 100%. Rumors are so easy to start and spread.

Thank you.

By the way, I also agree with your other comment several posts later too.....we do consume way too much.
Wonder when we'll realize that our population needs to be in check? When it's too late? We're like a virus that keeps spreading and consuming everything else. It's time we found a "balance zone" and stick to it. Look at the US population for the last 150 years...we're out of control and we're the only species (humans) on earth that is; every other species has checks and balances to keep their populations under control.

Time to get back with ZPG. Zero Population Growth.

God did pretty good until he made man to fark things up, IMHO.

John

Either way they are both making stupid amounts of money off that rig and should BOTH be held accountable. No one ever wants to take the blame when they fark up. Those callous big oil pricks really make me sick :mad2:

It may not be that bad. They made the same claims when the Valdez leaked, but I read where within a very short time, they were getting record catches, despite what the gloom & doomers had claimed. Nature has a way of fixing things.

I like the asian shrimp. Problem is, an hour after I eat em, I want to eat em again. :-D

The difference is the Valdez was limited to what it held and what could escape. This horrendous mishap is spewing 210 THOUSAND gallons (most recent estimate I've seen ) of crude per DAY! This is where the inherent danger lies. Reports that it will take months to correct it have been everywhere in the news. Valdez was horrible don't get me wrong... But this is definitely on a much grander scale.

I think this thread has been comprimised.:confused:

Just found this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKHeuxgH1-8

Last edited:
From what I hear the main 1st explosion was above water line, somewhere on the upper part of the rig. Main oil leak occurred as the rig went down and damaged BOP (blow out preventer). This will be a tough one to cap in 5000' of water!!!

Most countries with major offshore oil exploration require a backup BOP as these things DO fail. This is SOP. Apparently the Oil lobby here in the US "convinced" the Bush administration in 2002 that this would be far to expensive for us to have and proposed legislation to require it was vetoed by the White House.

Brazilian and Norweigian oil companies can afford backup systems that would have prevented this thing, but Halliburton et al can't?

They got some 'splainin' to do.....

Dave

I agree Dave, Secondary back-up BOP is Standard and in this case the Secondary BOP is at the ocean floor which is the one that is damaged and leaking. The primary was at rig level and we know from all the pics what happenned to that. With all the safety precautions taken on these new rigs it will be interesting to see what the final causes were, if it is ever found out.

Accidents are going to happen and oil rigs are no different than anything else. It's like airplanes, if you look at how many crashes vs how many flying hours planes have, that record would show that airplanes are extremely safe, same goes with Oil Rigs. The down side is going to be the aftermath but for every accident there's always new improved safety measures to counter such an event in the future.

Should BP be responsible? I'd say yes, it's their business and product that's going to cause the damage, let them go after the platform company if they find out that they were at fault. If BP can't cover the expenses of this accident (which we all know they can, since they report making millions per quarter reports) they shouldn't be allow to do business in our country.

My main concern is for the people like those in my 'home town', Bayou La Batre AL. Small fishing village, lots of independent guys who own their own boats, etc. The 'businesses' can't last being bottled up by the spill.

So while the spill is a huge environmental mishap (not minimizing) there's a huge personal cost to be paid by those who live and work on the coast.

Mark

Back