THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
George
Here I go again (for decades now) tossing some $40's worth of peanut oil after frying a single 16# tukey. (I use and have used the Bayou Classic 30 quart system.) The oil cost almost twice as much as the bird.
After all these years I'm tired of doing this but there is always the demand from family and friends to do a deep fried bird for Thanksgiving and it does disappear from the tray every time before any other product offered.
So, my question is: has anyone found an oil-less fryer that duplicates the taste of the deep fried bird? I have never tasted a bird from one.
The alternative may be a Master Built XL or Butterball Masterbuilt XXL but I'm still out 3-4 gal. of oil wit these two.
HELP!

First thing I'll say is, I filtered and reused my oil many times before disposing of it. Cuts the cost down significantly. Second, have you looked into Char Broil's Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer? It results in a product that is very close to deep frying. Many threads on here about them. I have done turkeys (and many other things) on both and have always been pleased.

First thing I'll say is, I filtered and reused my oil many times before disposing of it. Cuts the cost down significantly. Second, have you looked into Char Broil's Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer? It results in a product that is very close to deep frying. Many threads on here about them. I have done turkeys (and many other things) on both and have always been pleased.
I have saved the oil myself at times but it requires refrigerating in any event and that takes up a whole lot of space and winds up not being worth the effort in my mind.
I looked at the Char Broil on line but never tasted anything cooked in it. I am interested in knowing how a bird comes out on that cooker.

I have a Big Easy oil less fryer. I have only used it once...did a decent job...but just meh for me. I dont fry one...have had it though...and think fried in peanut oil is better.

I'll admit, frying in peanut oil IS better, but not a lot better IMO. If you're looking for ease and $ savings, look into The Big Easy. I won my Big Easy in a contest and used the h$#@ out of it. I had the oil fryer for close to 30 years. Recently traded them both to brother gtr who will continue to use and enjoy them. I don't think family and friends will be disappointed by a Big easy turkey. See if there is a brethren brother or sister nearby that has one and do a test cook to see for yourself.

Been frying turkey in oil for 25 years, 3 years ago I purchased the Big & Easy oilless fryer and used it twice and sold it. Taste is way different for me, but I'm picky. I use the peanut oil for frying whole chickens and other things. Yes it's a pain but well worth it to me.

Picked up a Big Easy for $88.88 out the door at Brandsmart. Figured at that price I can take the chance given all the other possible cooks besides turkey.

Deep fried a few and they were ok, injected with creole butter smoked for 2-3 hours then into a roasting bag and oven til done, skin split and peeled on the 1 Thursday but was the best turkey I ever cooked, it was 117 in the breast when I took it out and put in bag, took it til 165 . I smoked it on a pellet smoker with a mix of lumberjack competition and apple pellets.

IF you know how to prepare a proper Cajun Fried Turkey, the CharBroil Big Easy is the was to go. I too have done hundreds in peanut oil over the years. Since switching to TBE have saved scads of $$$ on peanut oil with little mess. I would put my oil-less up to any deep fried although they are both Great!

Just my .02

I haven't tried an oil deep fried turkey, but I just picked up a Big Easy and did a test cook on Saturday.

It came out pretty good, but the best part was ease of use and low cost. No oil, quick clean up...I'm sold and intend to use this bad boy for more cooks going forward.

I have had all the BE turkey cooker models. Settled on the BE electric infrared unit.
Set the cooking temp and the finish temp on the display. Unit shuts off when done.

I did make a stand for the bird to get away from the basket. Works better for me.

If you get a gas model, be aware of the heat out the top vents. I ruined more than one probe cable.

I've used the Big Easy several times for both turkey and chicken. Used McCormicks chicken seasoning before cooking. Family said it was the best turkey they had eaten. Crispy skin and moist meat.

IF you know how to prepare a proper Cajun Fried Turkey, the CharBroil Big Easy is the was to go. I too have done hundreds in peanut oil over the years. Since switching to TBE have saved scads of $$$ on peanut oil with little mess. I would put my oil-less up to any deep fried although they are both Great!

Just my .02

Got a secret recipe? I got a cajun friend that gave me his recipe. I've read to inject a little peanut oil in it with the seasoning mix, rub the skin with it too.
The wife's uncle claims there is no difference between the Big Easy bird and an oil fried one. She doesn't believe him and won't let me buy one. :sad:

Got a secret recipe? I got a cajun friend that gave me his recipe. I've read to inject a little peanut oil in it with the seasoning mix, rub the skin with it too.
The wife's uncle claims there is no difference between the Big Easy bird and an oil fried one. She doesn't believe him and won't let me buy one. :sad:

Then "borrow" one.I think you know what I mean.

I have a Big easy that was gifted to me. I have used it a couple times, but not a fan.
My biggest issue is the 'cage' you put the bird into is way to small. I think 14 lb is max bird size. (which is way to small for our use). Taste was just meh. I like the charcoal, or fire flavor on my food.

Back