THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
George
I was doing a trial run for Thanksgiving to see how the Big Easy would do compared to my usual oil fry. It performed great. The bird (13 lb.) was done in 2.5 hours (I kept it in there for another 20 minutes with lid on for more crisp). Plated with Brussel sprouts sauteed with matchstick carrots and apple chunks, wild rice mix and apple/cranberry and jalapeno chutney. Every bit as good as deep fried.
One note about the fryer: I did not think the flame could be extinguished by wind, being enclosed. It was a windy day here and, indeed, it blew out the flame. Luckily, it was at the end of the cook and I caught it in time before any damage was done. You need to keep an eye on the cooker in windy conditions.

Attachments

• turkey pre.jpg
    turkey pre.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 129
  • turkey done.jpg
    turkey done.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 132
  • turkey serv.jpg
    turkey serv.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 130
  • turkey plate.jpg
    turkey plate.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 128
Only complaint I have with my Big Easy is getting food out of the cooking rack. Thought I saw that the newer models had a rack that opened on the side.

Only complaint I have with my Big Easy is getting food out of the cooking rack. Thought I saw that the newer models had a rack that opened on the side.
Have not seen the one opening on the side but I do the bird just once a year and other meats are not that much a problem.

Looks amazing! Great color and the skin looks crispy even in the picture. Think this solidified me getting one of these cookers in the future! Those sides look delicious too. Might have to try the Brussel sprouts recipe you have going there cause that sounds delicious

Bird looks good. What did you use for a seasoning?

Can't recall if I ever asked this before, but anybody ever do a bunch of Cornish hens on the Big Easy? If so what would be the capacity?

Thanks,

Robert

Bird looks good. What did you use for a seasoning?

Can't recall if I ever asked this before, but anybody ever do a bunch of Cornish hens on the Big Easy? If so what would be the capacity?

Thanks,

Robert
Injected with a mix of some Naturific chicken salt, complete seasoning, garlic powder, sea salt and red pepper flakes soaked a while in water, white wine and olive oil. Strained after soaking and injected. The rub, after coating with a mixture 50/50 olive and vegetable oil, some Naturific, complete seasoning, garlic powder, salt and paprika.
I have done tow Cornish hens before but I think you could possibly fit four, especially if you can hang two from the grate they have for drum sticks.

Back