Off to Austin

Tuesday:

Sorry this is a bit late, but I've been busy. I arrived in Austin on Tuesday afternoon. Matt's plane was late, so we didn't actually meet until close to 5:00pm. Jason showed up right when I did and Matt showed up about a minute later. It was great to meet Jason there. I still can hardly believe he drove all the way from Canada just to meet us at Lockhart. Here is what it looked like when I showed up:

I pretty much stuck with the meat option the entire time. The food at Black's was a notch above that of the other two members of the holy BBQ trinity. Brisket was tender, juicy and delicious and the rib was fabulous:

The inside was the most comfortable too,

but no time for dilly-dallying as we were on a mission. While in Black's we discovered that Smitty's closed at 6:00pm, so we figured we better head there next, and fast, if we were going to make all three stations of the Q. It was about 1.1 miles on the GPS. Walking, however, it was only about 3 blocks and took us no more than 5 minutes, to get to the center of town:

Smitty's was fabulous. It was like visiting a museum. There's been much discussed about the pits in these pages, so I'm just going to post one pic I took:

Inside had a great feel:

My caloric intake was reduced. I decided to go with a pork rib (sacrilege), a slice of brisket and sausage. The bread was strictly for decoration:

The brisket was noticeably undercooked, the rib actually was quite nice and the sausage was fabulous. I love dry sausage and this really hit the spot for me. Next, we were off to Kreuz. This is the farthest station, nearer the highway, and probably a 10 minute walk from Smitty's. We appreciated the walk at this point. This is by far the largest, and from the looks, can handle thousands of pilgrims.

We walked around and entered from the front,

by the woodpile:

They're plenty serious here:

They were getting down to the bottom of their brisket run when they got to me, and I actually just had a load of bark:

I'm showing Jason's plate here:

and that wrapped up my first ~ 5 hours in Austin. I'd like to thank Brother Jason for meeting us there. It really made it special and he was a fabulous host and tour guide. :thumb:

Last edited:
Wednesday:

The plan was to get to John Mueller's for lunch. It was about a 1.5 mile walk from the hotel. It is located in what appears to be the backyard of a house-like building. Unfortunately, when we got there, ... it was closed. :sad:

http://www.johnmuellermeatco.com/home/

Fark, who closes on Wednesday! :noidea:

On our way, we noticed a line outside another BBQ trailer called, "la Barbecue." We decided to eat there on the way back. After the night before, we really worked up an appetite. The line seemed to take forever:

and those white cards on the menu covered items they were sold out of. :scared: Luckily, they still had brisket. I was thinking to get 1/4 pound, as I was still stuffed from the night before, but when I got to the front of the line and saw the brisket I ordered a pound. I got the chipotle coleslaw to go with it and the beer is free! This was some of the best brisket I had during the stay. It was cooked to perfection and the bark was fabulous.

That evening we had our workshop dinner at Ironworks BBQ, on recommendation -- and also because they would take a reservation and they were nearby. The brisket was undercooked, but I enjoyed the beef rib and the sausage.

The creamed corn and coleslaw also were very nice. Many people raved about the creamed corn.

Friday:

Friday was another really special day. I finally got to meet our world-famous brother Greg, who I've known in these pages for many years. As you're aware by now, he saved me a place in line at Franklin's BBQ, where he'd been waiting for nigh on three days.

Even at 10:00am when I finally ditched the others, this is what the line looked like:

But here we are in the shade:

Just 35 people between us and Nirvana:

By 11:00, the line started to move

I'm the fat one on the right :tsk:

Fark, I'm getting old. :tsk:

Despite all the people in front of us, the place was practically empty inside :shock:

They do not serve beef ribs, but I decided to get a pork rib to go with the brisket:

Greg and his sister were a bit hungrier. I believe they got 2 pounds of sausage and 5 pounds of turkey to go with their 10 pounds of brisket. Greg ate most of it by the time I took this picture:

but he had a little help from his sister

Fark, it was really REALLY good. The brisket was fabulous, really like nothing I've eaten before. The rib was good, but the brisket was REALLY great. The sausage was on the fatty side for me and I would gladly have skipped that altogether. The brisket more than made up for it though. Since I still had about an hour before I had to head to the airport, we decided to try John Mueller's again. We got there at 12:30, ... and he'd locked the gate already, sold out .... arrrrrrgh! I guess I'll just have to plan another workshop. :becky:

Of course as much as I enjoyed the brisket (did I fail to mention that it was really, really good?), the best part of the day for me was finally meeting gtr and his sister. I think we might have to have a workshop in Nashville next.

Dangitall....now I'm starving.....

gtr, NICE shirt, by the way!!!!
IMG_1205.jpg

Thanks for the excellent report, Gore!!! Looks like you had some fabulous grub!!!

Excellent reportage Gore! It was killer meeting you and having such a fantastic meal with you. I really hope that happens again - it was a great time.

My sis and I hit 2 more places that night, 4 the next day, and got to John Meuller's today. I'll be putting up some pix later, maybe tomorrow. I think we're going to Torchy's Tacos now because there may be a millimeter of space in our stomachs. :tsk:

If I ate like this for one more day I think I would probably die. I'd die happy, but I'd die nonetheless.
They got some unbelievable food out this way. :shocked:

Wow, great narrative, both words and pics! Thanks, Gore! If you're ever coming out to SoCal, let us know!

Back