NY Strips for Dinner w/pics

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
John
20110628_NYStrips_0275.JPG

I decided to fire up the kettle tonight and grill a couple NY strips for dinner. This time I got the cast iron grates good and hot to make some decent sear marks. I still think they could be a little better but I'm still learning...

20110628_NYStrips_0273.JPG

Before I tossed the strips on, I cooked up some corn and some large slices of a fat vidalia onion drizzled with evoo and some of Emeril's Essence on top. After they were just about done, I moved them over to the indirect side of the grill and just left them on while I cooked the steaks.

Today will be the last time I buy meat from Walmart though... I couldn't find any decent looking ribeyes so I settled for the strips instead. I cooked mine medium rare (about 4 mins on each side) and my GF's went to the standard shoe leather well done. Mine was still tough and had some nasty gristle all the way through the meat. I let these guys rest to almost room temp before I seasoned them and put them on the heat. I have had problems with wally world meat in the past more than once so I'm gonna have to give up on them.

I still love the cast iron grates on the kettle though. They are awesome and they are developing a great seasoning as I use them more. I don't leave them in the grill outside though. I brush them off after cooking and then let them cool, bring them inside, and oil them.

That is really nice Love Vadalia Onions I lie to wrap in foil and put on grill for a hout, turn every 10 minutes No oil needed. They get sweet and carmalized

Looks good. I need to get a set of those grates for my kettle. I am with you on the Walmart meat.. I wont buy from them anymore either.. Sam's has good meat, but Walmart is bad. I usually get my meat from Publix, or Kroger, but they think a lot of it. I wish I had a local butcher here.

Were did you get the grills? Do they fit inside a weber kettle? Now that I have a UDS I only use my webber for direct grilling and cast iron would be great.

BTW The steaks look great. Sorry Wall Mart let you down some times stores can be such a crap shot.

The cast iron grates are fantastic. I can't say enough good stuff about them. They are a tad pricey, but I didn't mind buying these. If you guys decide to get them, I can't recommend highly enough that you plan to take care of them as you would a cast iron pan. I have only had the chance to use these several times so far and they are beginning to get a good seasoning on them. The best thing you could do with a set when you first get them is cook a bigazz batch of 80/20 burgers probably. You might have a firebomb on your hands in the kettle, but it would season these up quickly. Don't let them rust!

Walmart is about as bad as it gets for quality... It isnt what made them successful. The only thing i am happy to buy at walmart is royal oak lump charcoal, which is good stuff. I think steaks would work better over lump, you should try it next time.

The steak looks great.......any yes; Walmart beef just doesn't look good at all.
But Sams Club beef has always been good when I've bought it.

You can season & store the CI grates in your kitchen oven. For storage, just put them on a rack right on the highest level in the oven. If you use the oven, just leave them there as you'll likely be baking/roasting something else on the middle rack.

Wash your CI in cold/luke warm water and don't use soap. A scotch brite pad is about all I use. Scrape the stuff off, rinse, dry, maybe light oil on not-so-well-seasoned pieces, and store.

My general feeling about steaks is that they don't need anything other than basic seasoning (salt and pepper) but Emeril's essence sounds like a good thing to try.

Might have to give it a whirl!

My general feeling about steaks is that they don't need anything other than basic seasoning (salt and pepper) but Emeril's essence sounds like a good thing to try.

Might have to give it a whirl!

The steaks were just salted and peppered. I used the Essence on the onions...

sear marks look good to me, along with everything else:thumb:

I know it's in my head but for some reason I think having some nice cross hatch marks on my meat makes it taste better. You gotta love cast iron grates. I brush or scrape mine after every cook and coat them with some oil while the grill is still warm to keep them ready for next time and avoid any rust. Nice pron!

I know it's in my head but for some reason I think having some nice cross hatch marks on my meat makes it taste better. You gotta love cast iron grates. I brush or scrape mine after every cook and coat them with some oil while the grill is still warm to keep them ready for next time and avoid any rust. Nice pron!

I agree :)

I have been opening the vents fully after my cook to let the grates get good and hot. After I eat my meal, I go back to the grill and brush it to remove any chunky crud that might have accumulated. Then I mop it with olive oil and let it cool down naturally then bring the grill grates inside. After a few more cooks on these grates I'll be able to leave them on the grill all the time without having to worry about rust. My grill is underneath an awning and I use a cover on it as well so moisture shouldn't be a big problem.

Back