THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matto6

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Matt
I'm new to smoking and have a couple Kamado Joe's but I'm tempted to try out an offset. I'm looking for something patio sized but good quality. I'm monitoring Facebook marketplace but I'm finding a while lot of nothing. A few Oaklahoma Joe's (where there are asking nearly full price - yeah, no) and a bunch of massive trailer smokers.

I'm starting to think I'll need to order new and pay full price if I want one sometime this decade. I'm looking at things like the Lang 36 Original Patio.... But gosh the price. It sure would be nice to find one locally for half that.

I'm in NY if anyone wants to sell me one. :)

I have an Old County bbq pits Brazos and it is a great pit for the money. They also have a pit called the wrangler which is also made of 1/4” thick steel. I have made some great bbq on my Brazos. They can be found at Academy Sports.

Oh man I find the same issue with BBQ sales on Craigs List & FB Market place. A lot of people calling stuff BBQ or smokers that don't belong there. There's a lot of crap you have to wade through to get to the good stuff. That's assuming there is some. Check out the classifieds here and on other BBQ forums. They tend to have less riff-raff.

I owned an OJ Highland and it was horrible about drafting. I have seen the Char-Griller Grand Champ at Home Depot and it looks really solid. They even installed felt along the cook chamber lid for those that don't want any smoke leaks. The smoke stack is wider than my OJ and it looks like it would help it draft much better. It's currently $499, but you may catch an end of season markdown soon.

I have a longhorn RF that needed a lot of mods but shes running great now. Brazos is good option as someone pointed out.

What is your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might depend on your region, but I'm part of a Facebook group called "Smokers and Grills Buying and Selling" and offsets come up 10-15 times a day. Granted some are "projects" and essentially garbage, but I've found some fantastic smokers on there in my area. A month ago I was able to get a used Pitts and Spits 36" offset for $750. It needed some TLC but it's a fantastic smoker.

This link should work, but you'll need to request to join as it's a closed group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/365388793970042

I hope this helps!

I have a longhorn RF that needed a lot of mods but shes running great now. Brazos is good option as someone pointed out.

What is your budget?

I'm sure what my budget is. I was originally thinking start with something cheap and upgrade later if I use it a lot. But my understanding is that cheap offsets make maintaining temperature even more difficult. That doesn't seem like a fun way to start so I think I want to go 1/4 right from the start. Something small (I need to be able to move it around) but a reputation for solid functionality.

I'm definitely not against a bravos. But I don't live anywhere near an acadamy sports and the bravos is "sold out" for shipping... Whatever that means.

I think I've decided to just keep monitoring the classifieds for a while and see what I find. At some point a great one will pop up.

What is your budget?

I tried to reply to this a few times but tapatalk keeps squashing it. Not sure what is going on.

I tried to reply to this a few times but tapatalk keeps squashing it. Not sure what is going on.

Because you’re new to the forum your post was submitted for moderator approval. There is an algorithm that looks lfor certain things in a post and triggers mod approval. That will go away once you post a few more times. You should have received a notice telling you that. The moderators we’re spending time with our families and weren't online. I approved the original post and deleted the other attempts.

Last edited:
Because you’re new to the forum your post was submitted for moderator approval. There is an algorithm that looks lfor certain things in a post and triggers mod approval. That will go away once you post a few more times. You should have received a notice telling you that. The moderators we’re spending time with our families and weren't online. I approved the original post and deleted the other attempts.
Oh that makes sense now, thank you.

I have no problem with there being a delay and the moderators not being online 24/7! But there was no error message via tapatalk, so I thought it was just a network error or something. Sorry I tried 5 times!

Back