North Carolina Barbecue Book

I ordered the Sam Jones Whole Hog yesterday. I have no plans to ever cook a whole hog, but the author Daniel Vaughn is the BBQ editor at Texas Monthly and author of The Prophets Of Smoked Meat. I really enjoy his writing style. It was down to $16 yesterday

Whole Hog BBQ: The Gospel of Carolina Barbecue with Recipes from Skylight Inn and Sam Jones BBQ [A Cookbook] https://www.amazon.com/dp/0399581324/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iIqDFbEV6HVW0

Golly....ordered the NC book in OP and this whole hog one as well. I think these are the 4th or 5th books I’ve bought in the last year from your posts :razz: I should get around to reading them all at some point.

I ordered the Sam Jones Whole Hog yesterday. I have no plans to ever cook a whole hog, but the author Daniel Vaughn is the BBQ editor at Texas Monthly and author of The Prophets Of Smoked Meat. I really enjoy his writing style. It was down to $16 yesterday

Whole Hog BBQ: The Gospel of Carolina Barbecue with Recipes from Skylight Inn and Sam Jones BBQ [A Cookbook] https://www.amazon.com/dp/0399581324/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iIqDFbEV6HVW0

You can't go wrong with this book...I've spent a whole night cooking a hog with Sam Jones and he's an absolute riot...his method of story-telling is absolutely hysterical. He had me laughing like a clown for probably 8 hours straight. I was at his book signing event the day the book was released and it was a lot of fun. They did a buffet style menu with a lot of the foods from the book and for the most part it was great. That corn-muffin is incredible!
I just can't say enough nice things about Sam. He still owes me a "whole hog class" one of these days.

I’ve seen Mr Jones in numerous YT Videos. His story in his voice -mannerisms etc & family history in barbecue is really cool. I’ve enjoyed those Videos immensely

Thanks for the tip on this, Adams! Ordered mine last evening and looking FW to reading.

Received Jones/Vaughn Whole Hog today. Anyone showing shipped yet?

Thanks for the reading tips, Adams... ordered them both, but worried that Whole Hog said only 1 copy left... we’ll see if it ships (they took my money quick enough, though...)

This morning looks like Southern Smoke still available and Whole Hog May have dropped in price again

Got my book yesterday and finally finished reading through it and perusing the recipes. Overall not a whole lot in there which appeals to me, but I do want to try his recipe for Mac&Cheese, and that Red Rice looks and sounds amazing.

I don't feel like this book has many ties to BBQ or even grilling...90% of the recipes are cooked in the oven, a skillet, or a dutch oven. His recipe for Memphis BBQ sauce is a bit confusing as well...just lists "vinegar" as an ingredient...not sure if that's Apple Cider Vinegar, Distilled White Vinegar, Rice Wine Vinegar, Red Wine Vinegar, etc...in a cookbook you should certainly be a bit more precise with terminology.

Got my copy yesterday and have enjoyed what I read / scanned so far. Several recipes I am looking forward to trying and as always, love the back story of the authors life around BBQ. Some of those recipes bring back some fond memories of living in Va./N.C. area.
Thanks Adams for the suggestion of the book!

My copy arrived yesterday and after reading and skimming a few pages I quickly ordered another to give as a gift. Very nice book and the recipes look like pure soul warming goodness.

Back