THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Well, yesterday someone decided it was a good idea to take out a power pole with their car in my neighborhood. Power was out for nine hours. No opening the fridge meant no cooking. Sigh. But, I did some additional things with leftover smoked pig leg from a couple weeks ago that I can share. Here's the original cook: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212791

Since then I've done these...

Rummage dish.
This is what happens when I see what I can find in the fridge and
I have no plan. I found a sizable head of broccoli that I really needed to do something with, about 2/3 lb of whole baby bella mushrooms, some shredded jalapeno cheddar cheese, some shredded "Mexican" blend cheese, butter, some diced onion (About three TBS) and, oh, smoked pig leg. No milk. Damn. In the pantry was a package of egg noodles. Ah. Sliced and sauteed the mushrooms with the minced onion. While that was cooking I made a roux, and added Knorr's chicken broth bullion to make a thick sauce to which I added the mushroom onion saute. More butter then the broccoli got cut into florets and the stems were chopped and all were given a nice quick saute. Cubed about a pound and a half of the pork, more butter for a quick fry of that, and cooked and drained the noodles. Tossed everything together in a mixing bowl adding the jalapeno cheddar. Glopped that into a buttered baking dish. The "Mexican" cheese on top, with some Old London seasoned bread crumbs. Into the oven at 350 for 30 minutes, then another 15 at 375.

rummage%20dish_zps9gszsquj.jpg

hot%20mess_zpsbh7v1xax.jpg

Creamed chipped pig...

creamed%20smoked%20pork_zpsihxnepgt.jpg

served_zpsoa2iemio.jpg

And pig egg pie...

Don't laugh, but the bottom "crust" is Stove Top Stuffing made with olive oil instead of butter and prebaked for about 10~15 minutes before the filling was added. Eggs, spinach, smoked pork, mozzarella and swiss cheeses with a few tablespoons of sour cream and mayo all mixed together baked at 350 for 40 minutes.

egg%20pie1_zpsqjmlhqmc.jpg

egg%20pie_zpsibrumhry.jpg

slice1_zpsljdoov8i.jpg

So, if you find yourself with some leftover smoked pig and wonder what to do with it, give one of these a try, perhaps.

Nice ways of improvising Guerry! Dishes look awesome and sorry for the early firework show on your street.

Would you mind sharing the recipe for the cream chipped pig - looks excellent. I have about 7 pounds of pulled pork from the holidays that I need to use.

Back