Newest Old Country Pit - Smokehouse Vertical

Funny Story...I smoked a bunch of jerky on my Over/Under I've had for about a year or so. My wife says "You should look at getting a vertical smoker, with some of those hangers"....this statement did not click until the middle of the night when I sat straight up in bed and thought "did she just tell me to BUY ANOTHER SMOKER???"

So therefore I have been looking at the Smokehouse. I am very pleased with my Over/Under, but would like the vertical for more cooking options, and the hangers in the smoke box.

I do, however, have a couple of questions....I don't have access at the moment to any equipment or machine shop to cut the slots wider on the the firebox plate. Could I simply put the wood plate on several firebricks to increase the distance between it and the bottom of the box? And to help with air flow?

In addition, thank you to all who participated and posted on this thread...I gathered a lot of info from it, and it cleared a lot of questions up for me.

It doesn't need more space under neath just more holes for ash to fall. You will just have to move ash around / maybe scoop some out during a cook.

It doesn't need more space under neath just more holes for ash to fall. You will just have to move ash around / maybe scoop some out during a cook.

Perfect! Thanks! I plan on getting the wood plate modified, just not sure when.

I do appreciate all that you have posted in regards to both the Smokehouse and Over/Under. It has driven both of my purchase decisions! :thumb:

Although I have the tools and know how I haven't modified mine. The way I see it, when the logs have burned down to coals and the temp wants to drop, I stir the coals and drag the ashes so fall through the openings. This brings the coals back to life and it easily lights the next log(s).

What's the benefit of hanging a turkey? Why not just set it on the grate and roll on?

(that's my plan- am I missing something?)

I just got my fire grate modified yesterday. It cost a little more than I was hoping but it turned out nice. Gonna give it a try tomorrow and see what kind of difference it makes.
9b639e65878dd0557ee60550eea260f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Old Country Smokehouse

I bought one a month ago, love it, holds a ton of meat. Gona use the sausage hangers next week for some deer snack sticks.

Brinkmann Smoke 'n Pit king smoker
Old Country Smokehouse Vertical Smoker
Webber Silver

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Yep, Czar
Short of the idea that it might be basting itself because of the position (ok- a stretch), that's the only thing I can figure out too. Grate marks on the skin on the bottom of a bird would not make me go to the trouble of finding a way to hang one. But there are things on my list of "stuff that bothers the hell out of me" that wouldn't raise an eyebrow on other folk.
I'm interested in seeing the results... if they turn out super, I'm up for giving it a shot!

Awesome thread!! I wish I was closer to Texas!

What are the height cooking chamber and overall dimensions of firebox?

I want to make an insulated clone.

Smoked 5 turkeys for Thanksgiving, One for me and the rest for friends. They turned out completely different from the way they did on my old Brinkmann Smoke King , which always made the skin pretty bitter, and uneatable and was the reason I never wasted spice on the skin. My new Old Country turned out tasty crispy skin, next turkeys will defiantly be well seasoned, most likely Christmas. Also one mod that is going to be required, the 21 lb. turkeys touched the shelf from above. I'll post my mod, once I decide the design. 18 lb. turkeys and smaller, all slid in and out, with no problems, on clearance.

Webber Silver

Attachments

• WP_20171122_18_46_40_Rich.jpg
    WP_20171122_18_46_40_Rich.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 360
  • WP_20171122_19_46_39_Rich.jpg
    WP_20171122_19_46_39_Rich.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 358
  • WP_20171123_10_34_51_Rich.jpg
    WP_20171123_10_34_51_Rich.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 357
  • WP_20171123_11_19_29_Rich.jpg
    WP_20171123_11_19_29_Rich.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 357
Smoked 5 turkeys for Thanksgiving, One for me and the rest for friends. They turned out completely different from the way they did on my old Brinkmann Smoke King , which always made the skin pretty bitter, and uneatable and was the reason I never wasted spice on the skin. My new Old Country turned out tasty crispy skin, next turkeys will defiantly be well seasoned, most likely Christmas. Also one mod that is going to be required, the 21 lb. turkeys touched the shelf from above. I'll post my mod, once I decide the design. 18 lb. turkeys and smaller, all slid in and out, with no problems, on clearance.

Webber Silver

looking good but have you considered buying your wood from somwhere cheaper than albertsons?

Looks good. I did two 18lb turkeys on mine and they were too tall to fit on any shelf. I removed the middle shelf and put them on the bottom.

Back