Newbie UDS build

Dlabrie

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I am starting my first UDS build. I will post pictures as I go along. I started with the fire basket. It is 12" high with the 17-18" grate attached about 3" up from the bottom. I will tack weld it when I figure out how to use my welder.

On the barrel, I have 3 sets of holes evenly spaced around the barrel. I used a step drill bit that I borrowed. It only went to 7/8th " and I need 1" for the vents on the bottom. So I ordered one from Amazon that goes to 1 1/8". It should be here Thursday. The barrel held non-toxic antifreeze. I plan to cut off the top and burn it tomorrow with a propane weed burner torch. I will post more picts as I progress. All comments and suggestions are welcome :grin:

Attachments

• 1-IMG_3831.JPG
    1-IMG_3831.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 2-IMG_3835.jpg
    2-IMG_3835.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 310
Looks like you're off to a great start. Looking forward to seeing the finished product! Get it finished and fired up.

I burned the drum with a weed burner and cleaned it up with a wire cup on my drill. I cut the top off with a jigsaw and smoothed the edge with a grinder. I will need to attach a 1X72"metal strip around the inside of the lip to accommodate my Webber dome. Can anyone give me some ideas on where to get a strip of metal like that?

Attachments

• 1-IMG_3837.jpg
    1-IMG_3837.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 2-IMG_3838.JPG
    2-IMG_3838.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 269
You can get something like that at Lowes. I used the kind with the holes pre-drilled in it. Made it easier to bend around the drum plus was a good place to weld to drum too.

You can get something like that at Lowes. I used the kind with the holes pre-drilled in it. Made it easier to bend around the drum plus was a good place to weld to drum too.

Thanks,
I'll take a look on my next trip there. I still haven't learned how to use my mig welder that I got over a year ago:confused:

Great project to learn your welder with! Looks awesome .... I'm gonna go drill some holes in my drum right now :mrgreen:

You will be amazed at the quality of que that you can put out from such a simple contraption....... Welcome to the addiction

I've got the outside painted and am doing the inside burn today; finally had a couple of days without rain. I tried my hand a welding feet on my basket and let's just say it wasn't wonderful :mmph: So I will finish the construction without welding. Once my welding skills improve, I'll try again.

Attachments

• 2-IMG_3858.JPG
    2-IMG_3858.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 1-IMG_3862.jpg
    1-IMG_3862.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 151
Why are you burning the inside, cant you sand blast the inside like the outside?

I didn't sandblast the outside. I used a weed burner and a wire wheel. The weed burner kept going out when I tried to use it on the inside so I burned it out, then used a pressure washer on it. After it was cleaned out, I sprayed the inside with Pam and did a small charcoal burn, 4-5 hours.

I still need to get the metal strip for the top rim so the Weber cover will fit. the cover is just a tiny bit too small. Has anyone splayed out the rim of a Weber top successfully? I think I could actually grind down the circumference of the lip on the drum enough to allow the top to fit.

I used stainless steel zip ties to attach my grate to the expanded metal for the fire basket, 3 inches up into the fire basket. No need for welding, no need for feet on the basket. I got my stainless zip ties at Menards. Looks like you have really thought out your build - looking forward to seeing the final product and some 'que!

I used stainless steel zip ties to attach my grate to the expanded metal for the fire basket, 3 inches up into the fire basket. No need for welding, no need for feet on the basket. I got my stainless zip ties at Menards. Looks like you have really thought out your build - looking forward to seeing the final product and some 'que!

I had done the same thing, but with some heavy wire. I just wanted to try out my welder, It wasn't pretty :shocked:

I took an adjustable wrench to the lid and bent it out all the way around. The paint cracked and it still didn't fit. So, I took a grinder to the edge of the drum rim and shaved it down a bit. It fit pretty well. I took a rubber mallet to it and then painted the rim of the lid and the drum. I think it is all set. If it leaks, I will use some high temp gasket maker on the lid. Now I need a rack, some charcoal and a good recipe.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1.jpg
    1-IMG_1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 2-IMG_2.JPG
    2-IMG_2.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 2-IMG_4156.jpg
    2-IMG_4156.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 3-IMG_4151.jpg
    3-IMG_4151.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 53
I have used the UDS 3 times now. I had only put on one 3/4 ball valve thinking that should be enough to manage air flow with the other 2 nipples. But no matter what I did, the temp wouldn't stabilize. Today I put on a second ball valve and it made all the difference! I think it allows me to keep the fire burning slowly in 2 areas, or from 2 directions. I am not sure why, but it works :-D

Back