Newbie Smoker

I still have not cooked on the Open Range I bought last fall. About how much charcoal would you use on a butt cook, 7-10 hours?

I use lump in my Open Range and usually get around 7 hours before I add more but I also don't let it burn down all the way before I add more. The firebox holds approximately 10 lbs of lump.

I have never done a long cook with briquettes so I don't know how long you can go with a full firebox of those.

The nice thing about the Good One smokers is that you don't have to remove cooking grates to add more fuel like you do on so many other cookers out there.

Why have you not cooked on yours yet?

Good afternoon all; I have threatened to try smoking for a long time and finally stuck my toes in the water today with a commercial side-box smoker / grill and some oak wood I had harvested. My first attempt was with babyback ribs and they were good but am a rank amateur and know I probably did everything wrong from A to Z but really felt great to have begun.

Wanting to do this right and any suggestions on "how-to's" would be greatly appreciated such as videos, books, etc.

thank you in advance

Good afternoon all; I have threatened to try smoking for a long time and finally stuck my toes in the water today with a commercial side-box smoker / grill and some oak wood I had harvested. My first attempt was with babyback ribs and they were good but am a rank amateur and know I probably did everything wrong from A to Z but really felt great to have begun.

Wanting to do this right and any suggestions on "how-to's" would be greatly appreciated such as videos, books, etc.

thank you in advance

Just start a thread here with info on your smoker and you will get plenty of tips.

Cooked a 4.7lb butt for 5 hrs. I knew it needed another hour. The bone wasn’t loose enough. DW was yelling at me to take it off. It was cooked but the meat toward the center wouldn’t pull. Still tasted good, but it just wasn’t right. Next week I’ll do it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:thumb: Certain areas of Alabama n few Places like to Smoke it to 185* and Sliced it thick like a Pork Steak..........

:thumb: Certain areas of Alabama n few Places like to Smoke it to 185* and Sliced it thick like a Pork Steak..........

Yeah, that exactly what it was. Pork steak. I let the smoker get too low a couple times not knowing how it operated. Next week I’ll maintain a higher temp and get it to pull.

I’ll keep the free Coleman. After a few more cooks I’ll know how to control it better and then it can be used in tandem with something more special.

Thanks again!!

I use lump in my Open Range and usually get around 7 hours before I add more but I also don't let it burn down all the way before I add more. The firebox holds approximately 10 lbs of lump.

I have never done a long cook with briquettes so I don't know how long you can go with a full firebox of those.

The nice thing about the Good One smokers is that you don't have to remove cooking grates to add more fuel like you do on so many other cookers out there.

Why have you not cooked on yours yet?

About same. 1 to 1.5 lbs hour

I've used briquette but found lump works better.

Yeah, that exactly what it was. Pork steak. I let the smoker get too low a couple times not knowing how it operated. Next week I’ll maintain a higher temp and get it to pull.

I’ll keep the free Coleman. After a few more cooks I’ll know how to control it better and then it can be used in tandem with something more special.

Thanks again!!

People do slice it, give yourself more time. Pork shoulder wrapped can hold temp in a cooler or your oven if you get done early

Tasting good is most important

Also if you're running behind, you can wrap which will speed it up.

David, I am at a similar place as you trying to start smoking. After all the advice they gave me I have leaned toward the Weber
Smokey Mountain 22.5" it seems to be a smoker that will help you learn the art. Good Luck!

David, I am at a similar place as you trying to start smoking. After all the advice they gave me I have leaned toward the Weber
Smokey Mountain 22.5" it seems to be a smoker that will help you learn the art. Good Luck!

I think I’m leaning the same way. Pay $450 to learn and then go big in a year or two down the road if it’s something I enjoy. Thanks for weighing in.

Back