Roll Call. Inside 30 days. New York City BBQ Cookoff Staten Island, NY

The Basic BBQ Team will also be competing in Staten Island!!!!

We are looking forward to this contest because some of the teams that met at the Hoboken & Staten Island OBR Sandy Relief cook sites are getting together at this contest to both partake in the competition and have now decided to once again join forces as Peoples Choice Team OBR!!!

Dr. Pearl's Medicinal Smoke Barbecue will be there and joining with Team OBR in the People's Choice. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

anyone get their competitor packet this week?

Last week I got a call saying they were mailing out the info this week. I haven't gotten mine and maybe I'm paranoid but I think the organizers are having a hard time keeping the contestants in the BBQ contest and the chili cook off straight. When they called me the conversation started with "hi this is (so and so) from the chili cook off ...

What I did find out is there isn't going to be any sponsor donated pork butts for the teams participating in the PC.

Two weeks away and we finally had a 60 degree day today.

I thought I was the only one who didn't get it. Very unorganized. Does anyone know any details about the people's choice?

Here it is.

Date: Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Subject: 2013 NYC BBQ Contest Packet
To: Jacob Berard <Jberard@historicrichmondtown.org>

Hello, this email contains the contestant packet for our 2013 BBQ Cookoff taking place this April 20th. Inside are many of the details pertaining to procedures for Friday 4/19 and Saturday 4/20. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us. We are looking forward to seeing you at the event, good luck!

Jacob Berard
Development & Marketing
Historic Richmond Town
Staten Island Historical Society
441 Clarke Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10306
718-351-1611 x236

Staten Island Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.

Attachments

• 2013 BBQ_Contestant packet 2.0 PDF.pdf
    645.4 KB · Views: 20
Also got mine last night and Hogsnipers will be there. It's the closest comp to us so we figured we should do it.

Thanks Greg, I've been checking the mailbox all week after the phone call last week. Probably my fault not to think what the term "being mailed" means in the modern world. AOL dropped the email into my spam folder so I never would have seen it without your post.

David

Did anyone cooked this contest last year? Is there electric and water provided other than the contruction lights and slop sink?

Sounds like the meat inspection is taking place at the gate before you get to your site. You might want to pack accordingly. It will really suck ( for you and everyone behind you) if you have to unpack to get your meat cooler.

We did not cook this last year Sean but there is no electric or water provided other than the sink and hose. My teammate Dan talked to the guy the other day and he said that generator ARE allowed to run all night meaning this will be a fun one to get sleep at. Portable power sources seem to be the norm for running overnight cookers and draft systems but some mods might be needed. Look at this link to some discussion already about the SI contest http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156630

Meat inspections start at 1pm in satellite lot... but when can we get to our actual cooking sites?

We did not cook this last year Sean but there is no electric or water provided other than the sink and hose. My teammate Dan talked to the guy the other day and he said that generator ARE allowed to run all night meaning this will be a fun one to get sleep at. Portable power sources seem to be the norm for running overnight cookers and draft systems but some mods might be needed. Look at this link to some discussion already about the SI contest http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156630

Thanks. I thought I had read somewhere we got water and electric. I'm off the grid and don't really need water so I'm cool.

I would hope that quiet hours are quiet hours no matter what the source. I hope they don't have the construction lights on all night.

Meat inspections start at 1pm in satellite lot... but when can we get to our actual cooking sites?

According to the cooks pack, "You will be directed to your cooking location immediately after the inspection"

Fingers crossed. Last year we sat in that lot until close to 6pm.

Chris, that's because they had the chili cookoff before us. This year they moved the chili cookoff to a different weekend. We shouldn't have to wait on anyone this year to get in and get our spaces. I think they still have the staging area because the streets are so narrow and they still want to load teams in 2 at a time.

Quick note from Reps- last yrs meat inspections was done in the holding area to save time -since you were getting into the sites so late following the chili cook-off. We are the meat inspectors again this yr- but we have not discussed doing meat inspection at the gate or in the holding area. We are expecting to be following the usual meat inspection procedure at your site. Will all of you be at the site by 6pm for the cook's meeting? Nancy

Quick note from Reps- last yrs meat inspections was done in the holding area to save time -since you were getting into the sites so late following the chili cook-off. We are the meat inspectors again this yr- but we have not discussed doing meat inspection at the gate or in the holding area. We are expecting to be following the usual meat inspection procedure at your site. Will all of you be at the site by 6pm for the cook's meeting? Nancy

Nancy...You might want to read the Cooks Packet that was sent to all teams late last week. Here is a quote on the subject...

"We’ve designated a waiting area/meat inspection zone, which will be open for
your arrival any time after 1pm on Friday, April19th. The address is 145 Arthur
Kill Road (see map below). It is a green building set back from the road, across
the street from a cemetery. The address is located between Clarke Avenue and
Revere Lane. There will be a competition representative on-*‐site when you arrive. Meat inspection is scheduled at this location starting at 1pm."

Its Never good when the Reps and the Organizers are on different pages. Add in a Pitmaster Bus & crew and Im already starting to think I just mis spent $800.

Ok we spoke with Eze- new info will be sent out shortly- there was some misunderstanding re the need last year for the holding area and meat inspections being done in that area off site. This set up is not required for this year so meat Inspections will be available as per usual procedure as your load into your sites. Both Don & I will be walking around to complete meat inspections as teams are ready. Here's hoping for great weather & a successful event for all. Nancy

Back