New to the Smoking World

Welcome to the addiction.......or soon to be addiction:shock:. I started with the Weber kettle, and it is still what I use the most. I am cooking for 2-10 people, depending on the occasion, and it meets my needs for the most part, I did pick up a second one that a friend gave to me and also eventually picked up a PBC.

But a kettle will serve you well as a starter and grow from there.

KC

You can get a drumb and clean it out- Hughe thread on that here and get all the fixins to make it from Big Poppa Smokers- see sales and ventures. A lot of people love the Weber Smokey Mountain too

all this Weber kettle advice, I think it would be a dis service if the Char-Griller Akorn wasn't at least mentioned. Great cooker, easy to control temps. very efficient on fuel and double insulated steel lets you cook in cold temperatures.

If I could take it all back, I would have started with my kettle. Instead I have an electric( ok that was a Xmas present that got this insane addiction started) and a cheap vertical smoker. Both if those don't even get used anymore because I can do magic with my kettle! I am building my first stick burner, but that's a whole different story... The kettle is IMO the best thing in your situation, because you can do quick cooks throughout the week and long smokes on the weekend from the same cooker!!

If Karen Putnam was still with us she would tell you it doesn't matter what you cook on just cook and enjoy yourself no matter what you are cooking on and you will find what works for you and never be afraid to try anything. The Flower of The Flames was "The First Lady of Smoking" when it came to cooking and has cooked on the simplest cookers that many wish they could match her quality and many have learned a wealth of Cooking knowledge from her. Keep us posted on your Smoking Journey:)

Son, welcome aboard! You are in good hands here. The folks here truly fit the definition of Brethren who will give you great advice. I have learned more here in the last two year that the past 20.

All I am going to say on this thread, is don't buy yourself anything six weeks before Christmas. :hungry:

Wow, he is getting a Jambo!

I guess we will have to wait until after Christmas to advise him on accessories.

all this Weber kettle advice, I think it would be a dis service if the Char-Griller Akorn wasn't at least mentioned. Great cooker, easy to control temps. very efficient on fuel and double insulated steel lets you cook in cold temperatures.
Per OP, "Price range is anything less than $200.". You've gone over his limit unless he can find one used.

I would say buy a cheap char-griller with side fire box ..if your gonna learn.. learn to run it as a stick burner ....you can make a few simple mods but I never did them lol and I love using it for now besides a great way to learn fire control and its around $200

Ohhhh he's getting something GOOD for Christmas...... I see......like a WSM or PBC or something.......:wink: :clap2: Probally ought just give it to him Early so he can get to practicing so Holiday Dinners will turn out Well .......:thumb:

22.5 Weber kettle. Craigslist has OTS' and occasionally OTG's for cheap. I've purchased all of my Webers used. I've probably paid out a quarter of what it would have all cost new. Whatever you end up "graduating" to, do not get rid of your kettle. Once you're hooked, I'm fairly certain your kettle will remain as one of your "go to" grills/smokers.

Hello all, first posting here but I wanted to chime in on this subject as well. When I started smoking about 2.5 years ago I started out with the CharBroil offset with side fire box which I still have that I got free from the inlaws and used it as a stick burner. I had some decent brisket, pork butt results and some not so pretty results as well. I then started using it as Charcoal with full logs stick burning combo.

Recently within the last month and a half I was able to win the Pit Barrel Cooker on Barbecue Central Radio Show and I have to say I absolutely love that cooker. For the 269.00 price tag delivered you get a great cooker, and I absolutely love cooking on that. Those barrels hold the heat and 1 load of charcoal can cook 9+ hours with no problem.

I also second the Weber Kettle for your first step into your future addiction. You can smoke and grill with it and the experience you'll get at learning to manage your temps will be invaluable when you inevitably start adding more smokers later. Next step UDS, so on and so forth. Enjoy the ride.

Back