THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. Stickburners burn wood. If you want to burn charcoal do not get a stickburner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I saw a video of a guy who switches between charcoal and sticks in the LSG 24x44. Maybe that was just a test video?

I will see if I can find it.

Phad

I thought I saw a video of a guy who switches between charcoal and sticks in the LSG 24x44. Maybe that was just a test video?

I will see if I can find it.

Phad

While you can run an offset on charcoal it's extremely inefficient, and it will take a ton of charcoal. I was at a KCBS competition and a guy next to me had a Jambo backyard ( 24x48 ) offset, and he brought about 10 sticks of applewood, and almost a pallet of charcoal....slight exaggeration of course. He went through a 12Lb bag of Kingsford Blue Bag about every hour, and then he'd throw a single stick on top of the hot coals. Mind you it worked, but he was burning through fuel like crazy and it was a costly cook for him.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is allowed but here is the thread I was talking about.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/f...and-tested-a-charcoal-basket-for-my-lsg-20x42

Is that something that only LSG will do?

I Really want to burn sticks but know that there will be sometimes when I just want to set and forget. Maybe one in 12-15 cooks. So I was thinking having charcoal as an option would satisfy me.

I might make a new thread just talking about the Shirley vs LSG.

Phad.

LSG makes awesome products. If you are considering an offset from them you should probably look into the 24 X 40 rather than the 20 x 40 as the 24 models have the option of going to a 1/2 inch or insulated fire box while the 20 inch, I believe, has the 1/4 inch as the only option---especially nice in the cold Canada winters!

The Ironside IVC's from Wisconsin, as pointed out earlier, are a charcoal/wood combo first IVC which can also be ran on wood only so likely much more efficient running charcoal.

Not sure if this is allowed but here is the thread I was talking about.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/f...and-tested-a-charcoal-basket-for-my-lsg-20x42

Is that something that only LSG will do?

I Really want to burn sticks but know that there will be sometimes when I just want to set and forget. Maybe one in 12-15 cooks. So I was thinking having charcoal as an option would satisfy me.

I might make a new thread just talking about the Shirley vs LSG.

Phad.

That's actually pretty impressive to be honest. I wouldn't have thought just charcoal would be so effective on an offset, but that graph certainly makes some good evidence.

Back