New Smoker Time

No. Stickburners burn wood. If you want to burn charcoal do not get a stickburner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I saw a video of a guy who switches between charcoal and sticks in the LSG 24x44. Maybe that was just a test video?

I will see if I can find it.

Phad

I thought I saw a video of a guy who switches between charcoal and sticks in the LSG 24x44. Maybe that was just a test video?

I will see if I can find it.

Phad

While you can run an offset on charcoal it's extremely inefficient, and it will take a ton of charcoal. I was at a KCBS competition and a guy next to me had a Jambo backyard ( 24x48 ) offset, and he brought about 10 sticks of applewood, and almost a pallet of charcoal....slight exaggeration of course. He went through a 12Lb bag of Kingsford Blue Bag about every hour, and then he'd throw a single stick on top of the hot coals. Mind you it worked, but he was burning through fuel like crazy and it was a costly cook for him.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is allowed but here is the thread I was talking about.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/f...and-tested-a-charcoal-basket-for-my-lsg-20x42

Is that something that only LSG will do?

I Really want to burn sticks but know that there will be sometimes when I just want to set and forget. Maybe one in 12-15 cooks. So I was thinking having charcoal as an option would satisfy me.

I might make a new thread just talking about the Shirley vs LSG.

Phad.

LSG makes awesome products. If you are considering an offset from them you should probably look into the 24 X 40 rather than the 20 x 40 as the 24 models have the option of going to a 1/2 inch or insulated fire box while the 20 inch, I believe, has the 1/4 inch as the only option---especially nice in the cold Canada winters!

The Ironside IVC's from Wisconsin, as pointed out earlier, are a charcoal/wood combo first IVC which can also be ran on wood only so likely much more efficient running charcoal.

Not sure if this is allowed but here is the thread I was talking about.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/f...and-tested-a-charcoal-basket-for-my-lsg-20x42

Is that something that only LSG will do?

I Really want to burn sticks but know that there will be sometimes when I just want to set and forget. Maybe one in 12-15 cooks. So I was thinking having charcoal as an option would satisfy me.

I might make a new thread just talking about the Shirley vs LSG.

Phad.

That's actually pretty impressive to be honest. I wouldn't have thought just charcoal would be so effective on an offset, but that graph certainly makes some good evidence.

Back