New-ish Member from Huskerland!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nucornhusker

Babbling Farker
Hello. I must have missed the cattle call and I have been posting for a short while, so I should introduce myself.

I am a native Nebraskan and I have lived here my whole life. I have been in Lincoln for 13 years and enjoy the town very much.

I started grilling when I was about 13 and it has been a passion of my ever since. I have always loved BBQ and while I like to support my local joints, I like to make things for my own tastes also. They were getting quite a bit of my cash! :p After several failed attempts to "smoke" ribs on my Weber Genesis Gasser, I decided to step up this year and get a smoker. What a mistake that was!

This has really become a passion of mine and since I got the smoker in May, I have smoked something at least once every week and when I'm not BBQing, I'm thinking about what I can try/do next. I found a good local wood supplier and buy Rick cords of wood that I keep on hand. I currently have some Hickory, Cherry and Oak. I am really liking using Hickory and Cherry. The Oak is nice for the temp, but I'm just not sure about it yet.

I cook in an Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn 20" offset. I use charcoal and wood to start the smoker, and stick burn after that. I have a really good pork shoulder I like, a few good chicken and rib recipes and I'm still searching for that right brisket rub for me.

I have been lurking here for months and decided to join back in August. I really appreciate all of the posts and info that are on here, and I hope to also become a good contributor and fellow brother. I just don't want to offer a lot of advice since I am still new to this whole thing having only been smoking since May. But as I do it week by week, I get more confident each time and no longer feel like I'm a newbie.

I really enjoy this forum, as it doesn't seem to have the "know-it-all's" that really don't know jack and flame up a thread. The only flaming around here seems to be the fire in our cookers and the passion for BBQ in our hearts. That is why I keep fairly quiet. I do have questions, but I hope I find them by searching and if I never find a good answer, I will finally ask.

Feel free to contact me and I hope to get to know you guys well in the coming days/weeks/months/years. I'm sorry guys, but I think you are stuck with me. :tongue:

Thank you for your time.

-K

Hey nucornhusker, Welcome to the club!!! I've been looking for a supplier of Hickory but nothing around here. Where are you getting it in Lincoln? Cheers!!!

Welcome from SoCal! Glad you joined up. You have come to a fantastic place - lots of great info and great people - enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back