New Fire Grate Mod

kapndsl,

You got any spare pics or blueprints of your fire box mod? I cant get the file with pics to open only the word doc. Sure like to see that thing. It sounds like the only way to go. thanks

BillyH said:
kapndsl,
You got any spare pics or blueprints of your fire box mod? I cant get the file with pics to open only the word doc. Sure like to see that thing. It sounds like the only way to go. thanks
Billy,
I am assuming you must not have Micro$$$$ Word.
If not, Try this:
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=UpDownload&file=index&req=getit&lid=108
It is a link to Microsoft that has a free viewer for "Word" files.
If that does not work, I may try to post a RTF version. but it normally farks up the pictures or creates really huge files.
Let me know--I have a couple of more ideas if need be.
TIM

kapndsl you are "da man"....that download fixed all my problems. I can view all the files now...I owe ya big time...thanks a million..

reading your tests I see where you closed the intake 100% during the burn. I always thought this had to be open?

BillyH said:
kapndsl you are "da man"....that download fixed all my problems. I can view all the files now...I owe ya big time...thanks a million..

reading your tests I see where you closed the intake 100% during the burn. I always thought this had to be open?

During my former burns, full open to 50% temporarily with a new load of wood- think that is in the test report.
Now, normally full closed. Big bed of coals gets enough air for a clean burn from the leaks in the firebox.
I can even close the exhaust vent some now and still keep good smoke.
All of this is due the efficiency of good coals vs the flame heat of wood and poor coals.
DON"T delay using the Bandera for this. Just get the stock wire grate up off the floor and let her rip.
Do this type of Mod after you get a baffle in place and a couple of burns under your belt.
TIM

kapndsl said:
Neil,
Also on topic--Hope the firegrate works for you as well as it did for me.
Did you confirm the measurements?
I have no faith in consistancy from CharBroil nor accuracy of my memory and notes :D
Let us know how it works out!
TIM

NO I did not confirm measurments and must cut the grate down a bit. Loading side door won't close propperly. Ooops. No big problem, have a nice chop saw at the shop. I welded the rebar to a piece of 1/4" diamond patterened expanded metal one of my customers gave me from his scrap pile. I'll be doing a test burn this weekend.

Neil said:
NO I did not confirm measurments and must cut the grate down a bit. Loading side door won't close propperly. Ooops. No big problem, have a nice chop saw at the shop. I welded the rebar to a piece of 1/4" diamond patterened expanded metal one of my customers gave me from his scrap pile. I'll be doing a test burn this weekend.
Neil,
What was that I learned in shop class eons ago--"Measure twice, cut once" :lol:
How about a pic of your creation and some results when you test it.
Innovation--I love it 8)
TIM

Tim, another fine job. Thanks for making me look good as well.

I might add if you compare our results the one big difference was in burn duration. I fully attribute this to the insulation in my firebox. Although I didn't weigh my fuel (guessing Tim used a 10# bag) by the pictures it certainly looks as though we used near identical amounts of fuel.
If you don't have one of Al's baskets and if you want to utilize this method to its fullest in the 'dera of BSKD I highly recommend firebricks.

I got to thinking that I opened a fresh 20# bag for this test so I went and weiged what was left in the bag. I used approx 7# for this test.

So with less fuel I got near double the burn time with the insulated fire box.
edit>not near double, more accurately about 50% more burn time.

kcquer said:
I might add if you compare our results the one big difference was in burn duration. I fully attribute this to the insulation in my firebox. Although I didn't weigh my fuel (guessing Tim used a 10# bag) by the pictures it certainly looks as though we used near identical amounts of fuel.
If you don't have one of Al's baskets and if you want to utilize this method to its fullest in the 'dera of BSKD I highly recommend firebricks.
The 10# was an "eyeball" 1/2 of a 20# bag. But, I am comfortable calling it 10#. Don't need to split hairs on an unscientific test :D
I think the firebricks definately help! Anything to help the "thermals" on a sheet metal cooker has got to be good.
I even toyed with the idea of "lining" the firebox with 1/4" steel plate!.
But, as we have discussed in PM, you can never get away from the fact that our consumer type cookers are sheet metal and only so much $ and effort is justified. After a certain level, we need to just save for a "real steel one".
For now, I hope everyone just applies the reasonably priced Mods and "cooks on".
Enjoy the beasts for what they are.
As we all learn new stuff--I am sure we all will share.
Quick question--does your "firebox heat shield" still allow enough heat to the top to properly pre-heat the wood?
I know my next load of wood will actually light off and burn if I don't rotate it often and watch it closely :lol:
Started a couple of "external" fires that way and burned the hell out of my wooden shelf with some smoldering wood.
But, part of my "Pitch Bitch" duties is to get the wood so it will flame ir it even approaches a quality bed of coals :lol:
TIM

Quick question--does your "firebox heat shield" still allow enough heat to the top to properly pre-heat the wood?
Obviously not as well as when I don't use it, but it does still help.
My cimarron firebox doesn't preheat worth squat, but the fryer at the other end does a wonderful job. :D
Just thought it was worth pointing out for anyone "one the bubble" about doing the firebrick mod. If I had your source of wood, I'm not sure I'd bother.

kcquer said:
[Obviously not as well as when I don't use it, but it does still help.
Just thought it was worth pointing out for anyone "one the bubble" about doing the firebrick mod. If I had your source of wood, I'm not sure I'd bother.
Scott--got it!
May stick a temporary one in when I get back next week and just see!
And, by the way, I did nothing to make you "look good" in our combined report! Quality stuff from you and I just blended to keep it together and simple for the Brothers. Great Job!
TIM

Back