THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yes two new comps run by Arlie Bragg..not really happy about this as one is the same day as our event and the other is the week prior. Seems like KCBS wanted the cash y so they keep booking comps. Gonna ikill us little guys. Just trying to make a buck for charity. I am sure Arlie does a good job, but jeez...couldn't have gone to Georgia or Kentucky that weekend?

www.brockportbbqfest.com we will treat our competitors right!!

The new contests are sponsored by a radio station(syndicate). They are having it in their broadcast areas(outside NY also).

Dont think we(NY) have the team saturation to support that many contests so close together unless folks are ready to marathon. Years ago we needed more contests, now we need mode teams!

Isnt one of them going up against harpoon?

Last edited:
There is one weekend here in Upstate NY with two KCBS comps within 1 hour of each other. Another weekend with two KCBS comps on back-to-back days in the same location.

You could start in mid-June, cook a sanctioned comp every weekend through the end of July and never leave the state - and the majority have "Governor's Proclamations/State Championships"

Oh yeah, then there are April, May, August and September which all have their own various Empire State Series/State Championship/KCBS events.

Guess I don't need to worry about gas money as I'm looking at 8 KCBS comps within 1 1/2 hours drive, another 2 comps about 3 hours away. Summer booked.

There is one weekend here in Upstate NY with two KCBS comps within 1 hour of each other. Another weekend with two KCBS comps on back-to-back days in the same location.

You could start in mid-June, cook a sanctioned comp every weekend through the end of July and never leave the state - and the majority have "Governor's Proclamations/State Championships"

Oh yeah, then there are April, May, August and September which all have their own various Empire State Series/State Championship/KCBS events.

Guess I don't need to worry about gas money as I'm looking at 8 KCBS comps within 1 1/2 hours drive, another 2 comps about 3 hours away. Summer booked.

Hey,
Is there a list of all these NY contests, I saw the Empire State Championship List, but if there are more contests I might wanna amend my schedule...Looks like I moved up here at the right time :)

Neil

I wish they would make Long Island a city, so I could at least say I'm from Long Island, NY instead of Seaford, NY

I tell people I am from Rhode Island, they ask how I like living in New York. Some of you may have seen me wearing a t-shirt explaining that RI is not in New York, and is not actually an island, either.

Total RI comps: 0.

Could we borrow one of those NY comps maybe?

What the heck is a shake and bake championship?

Eric

Thats the term I use for a contest that is hastliy put together and announced shortly before the contest.

If you ask any one from New York, whether it be Upstate NY, NYC or Long Island, they will all say that NY should be broken up into 2 states.
It's like 2 completely different worlds.
I wish they would make Long Island a city, so I could at least say I'm from Long Island, NY instead of Seaford, NY.
Most people from outside of NY have heard of Long Island, so it could be considered a major city.
Most people from outside of NY have NOT heard of the town of Seaford, on Long Island, in New York.

I'm stoned so I may be rambling. I hope I made a point.

I don't think it should be split into 2 states. Most people have also heard of the Adirondacks but that doesn't make that a city either.

Who names a city in the state the same name as the state?? You're just asking for confusion. But what do I know...I may be moving to Ohio, OH next week, or was it West Virginia, WV?? :doh:

the city so nice they named it twice :becky:

Any news about the 2011 L.I. Battle of the BBQ Brethren?

Hey everyone: Just curious if there is any word yet on the 2011 Battle of the Brethren here on Long Island. The summer is filling up quickly. P.S. Just got notification from the Troy folks that the July Troy Pig Out team applications are coming out soon. Can't wait for the weather to warm up!

Best to everyone in the coming season!

Tom gellert
Ed-QUE-cators BBQ

Hey everyone: Just curious if there is any word yet on the 2011 Battle of the Brethren here on Long Island. The summer is filling up quickly. P.S. Just got notification from the Troy folks that the July Troy Pig Out team applications are coming out soon. Can't wait for the weather to warm up!

Best to everyone in the coming season!

Tom gellert
Ed-QUE-cators BBQ

2011 Battle of the BBQ Brethren
Holtsville, NY August 6-7 2011

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100058

http://www.bbqbattleli.com/

I haven't been able to find one. If you do please post it

nybbqchamp.com has the first 10 comps listed so far. I would say are the ones that are going to be well organized and extremely team centric. As far as I know they mostly run by fellow competitors, Brethren and all-around great people.

The other comps that are new and, to the best of my knowledge, not being put together by competitors are the aforementioned radio station comps in Buffalo and Albany. I believe these are in July and are now listed at the KCBS site, though with no details, no website and no reps attached.

The other(s) is Father's Day weekend I believe, the same weekend as the Wilson comp already listed at nybbqchamp.com. You can go to smokeonthewatersyracuse.com but there are no apps posted yet. I have talked to the guy, he says he is KCBS (though it is not listed yet on the KCBS site) sanctioned and will be in on the Empire Series. This is being put together by a promotions group and it part of a whole weekend of boat races and car shows. He says he is going to have a large pot but that it is going to be split: basically back to back KCBS comps on Saturday and Sunday.

That's 14 comps right there.

Isnt it a good thing to have as many contest as we can have in the NorthEast? Seems like most of the contests have good turn outs and I remember couple years ago people wanted more contests but i could be way off.

Yes two new comps run by Arlie Bragg..not really happy about this as one is the same day as our event and the other is the week prior. Seems like KCBS wanted the cash y so they keep booking comps.

What is the current KCBS guideline for sanctioning nearby contests on the same weekend?

What is the current KCBS guideline for sanctioning nearby contests on the same weekend?

I don't think there is one. On July 23 weekend KCBS will sanction Harpoon, Western Maine, and now one of these NY comps. (Buffalo I think.) That's crazy. Harpoon and Fryeburg, ME are only 149 miles away from each other. Then add a Buffalo, NY comp to that? 3 comps in the NY/NE area on the same weekend? Hopefully there will be enough teams to support all the events, but I don't think there is.

-Mike

I thought the guideline for event saturation was within 250 miles on the same weekend?

just read thru the sanctioing documents. On page 5, They have a disclaimer about the "policy' regarding approval based on team density in an area, but dont say what the policy is.

page 5 of sanctiiong packet said:
This policy is not intended to change any of the policy concerning, saturation and density of cooks when
considering contests in a geographical area.

I don't think there is one. On July 23 weekend KCBS will sanction Harpoon, Western Maine, and now one of these NY comps. (Buffalo I think.) That's crazy. Harpoon and Fryeburg, ME are only 149 miles away from each other. Then add a Buffalo, NY comp to that? 3 comps in the NY/NE area on the same weekend? Hopefully there will be enough teams to support all the events, but I don't think there is.

-Mike

You do realize that Buffalo is 400+ miles from Harpoon, don't you?

Ohio competitions should be more concerned about what goes on in Buffalo.

And if it is an issue the better/competitor friendly competition will win out and put pressure on the others to improve . . . and isn't that a good thing?

-Mike

I e-mailed Arlie asking for info about teh Albany contest, haven't heard anything yet. If I get any info, I will pass it along.

Harpoon isn't listed on the KCBS website and in reality has turned into an invitational. Even so I think the distance between them and Buffalo is enough to draw from a different team base. There seems to be a large group of western NY/PA. Canadian and Ohio teams that Buffalo is convienent. I think the Fryeburg should do alright with the people that didn't make it into Harpoon (or pass the SAT as I like to call it.:becky:).

Looking at the bigger picture you can really make a good summer of it if you start at Boston Hills, hit up Lake Placid, Troy, Harpoon/Fryeburg/Buffalo, Albany/Brockport, Holtsville, Eliot, ME, New Paltz, New Holland.....

Should give everyone ample opportunity to warm up for the Sam's Series!!

And if it is an issue the better/competitor friendly competition will win out and put pressure on the others to improve . . . and isn't that a good thing?

It should create that kind of pressure but in reality it would be 2-3 years before you see thise changes. I think that unless a first year contest is just a total flop, most people would be willing to give it a second chance.

It can be but it can also lead to a "watering down" of the draws for some of the major events and have adverse consequences for things like KCBS/NEBS ToY standing and the ESBC.

Back