THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dave
If I've heard it once I've heard it hundreds of times:
  • I only cook for a few of us at home and just don't need a smoker that big.
  • I don't have room for a trailer rig.
  • I want something for the back porch.
  • I want something I can grill on too.
  • or a dozen other variations on this same theme.

I generally try to point folks to a Weber or ceramic, maybe something like a 36 Lang or Shirley Fabrication patio model but folks keep asking for a compact cooker loaded with features. So, I put pencil to paper, thought this thing up and built one:
  • Compact cooking deck, about 30 inches wide and 20 inches deep and the cooking deck sits at about 36 inches above the ground.
  • Reverse flow design with firebox grate & ash pan.
  • A separate charcoal grate and ash pan to allow direct/indirect cooking.
  • Cast iron cooking grates (if you want to direct sear you can't beat CI)
  • Fully insulated.

First off, I can't say enough about having a good solid fabrication table if you are going to take on this kind of project. This is the beginning of the skeleton (1X1 tubing).

picture.php
[/IMG]

Firebox tacked in, you can see the exit from the firebox into what will be a plenum under the RF plate. All the inside plates exposed to direct fire are 11 gauge (1/8 inch), the skin is 16 gauge (1/16 inch).

picture.php
[/IMG]

Bottom of the firebox and plenum getting insulation (1 inch rock-wool). You can see the bottom skin and expanded metal for the storage shelf on the table behind the cooker.

picture.php
[/IMG]

More insulation.

picture.php
[/IMG]

And skin.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Top w/exhaust stack

picture.php
[/IMG]

And all skinned out.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Firebox door, daisy wheel air inlet and latch mocked up.

picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php
[/IMG]

And here it is back from sand blasting with a fresh coat of high temp paint during the seasoning burn on Saturday.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Today I did a trial run of brisket, 1/2 chickens and grilled corn.

18# packer with Oakridge Brisket rub

picture.php
[/IMG]

Followed by four 1/2 chickens with Badia Sazon Tropical seasoning.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Finished product.

picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php
[/IMG]

And a final shot of the finished cooker. It really did a great job, very miserly on fuel (I did the brisket on Stubbs w/chunks of pecan; did the chicken with small spits of hickory). Yep it was all good!

picture.php
[/IMG]

Well, this has already gotten to long so I'll finish up by saying I'm happy to answer any specific questions.

I'm planning on bringing it out to the North Texas Brethren Bash late this week.

Thanks for looking.

Very nice work as usual! What's the grate size and price point?

Thanks. The actual cooking grate is 26-3/4 inches wide X 18-1/2 inches deep. Have not decided on price point (I'm probably keeping this one); material along with all the high end stuff is just north of $800, so maybe $1,500-$1,600 if somebodgy wants all that stuff?

I like it brother... If you want any tanks... You are still welcome to them

I am not sure people understand or can appreciate the time that went into that cooker... Awesome job!!!!!

I like it brother... If you want any tanks... You are still welcome to them

I am not sure people understand or can appreciate the time that went into that cooker... Awesome job!!!!!

Thanks Paul. Still planning on dropping a trailer on Thursday on my way to Texas and coming back through Tuscaloosa on Monday on our way home -if that still works for you.

Awesome build Dave! You got some skills dude...

I'd love to have one. I especially like how it is well organized and space efficient.

Back