THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow- BGE might not be cheap but is one of very few purchases I never regretted.... Amazing at how well it holds temps - great for BBQ newbs like me and the versatility can't be beat.... I love my egg :clap2:

They just raised the price of the BGE another $50 this year. I got a Kamado Joe, although this is my first year cooking on a kamado style grill, I am having some fun with it so far. I am a pellethead from the get go but you can't have too many toys, these eggs are fun, and $150 less expensive than a comparable BGE.
kj.jpg

I thought BGE was an American Company based in Georgia? So isn't buying BGE buying American?

BGE's main office is in Georgia, but manufactured in Mexico...I think.

Hyundai is not an American Company, but they make cars in Alabama, either way you are supporting American workers in one form or another.:thumb:

I'm in the Saginaw area. I appreciate the assist. My old Natural Gass clunker finally fell apart so... I'm shopping!

If you're in the Saginaw area I'm just west of you off of 46. Anywhoo looks like Elite Pools and Spas in Freeland is your closest dealer. If I recall there's also a Primo dealer in Freeland (I'd check for you but Primo's website is flaky) perhaps it's the same place. I've got no personal experience with either the Primo or the Egg, but the extra capacity of the Primo Oval looks appealing to me.

+1 on everything Tim said.

I don't think that it's 'quite' the best smoker, but it's a very competent one. It's absolutely amazing at grilling, baking or roasting.

Any table recommendations? I'd go with one of the designs on their site I expect. Maybe Cedar but its so soft. Teak is adding insult to injury price wise.

John is building my table off of the www.nakedwhiz.com site and is using red oak I believe.

I chose the egg over a primo because of the dealer support. Quite frankly the primo dealer came across as being a jerk downplaying all other products and the egg dealer was open about the limited differences between the two. Maybe the primo guy was having a bad day, but I felt that there may just be a correlation between the dealer experiences and the post purchase support I would receive. Building a relationship with the dealer has paid off well and I continue to get my eggcessories, wood and rubs there. All of these things should be factored into the purchase.

There are good and bad dealers for either brand. Just so happens I got a one for each brand locally, neither has any expertise, just selling high end ceramic (one is even a garden/landscaping retailer). I can drive a little bit to neighboring cities and there are top notch dealers I did my research and pulled the trigger on an XL a year a go and never regretted the purchase.

The only negative about the full size ceramic cookers would be they are not easily portable.

I chose not to do a big table for mine since my patio space is limited. I have been happy with the cart and side tables for the Primo, the nest/cradle is scary flimsy for a 200+ cooker to sitting on/in.

Eggs are awesome. As a quick example, I'm smoking salt right now and it's been at 210 for over 27 hours and after checking the lump it looks like it might be out after another 5 or 6 hours. I filled it with lump to the top of the fire box and let it go without adding any more fuel for 27 hours to potentially 33 hours. That's incredible!

I've always agreed with the saying that BGE's cost more than they should but are worth more than cost. It's the perfect backyard cooker.

Is there a table building section on this forum? Also, does the egg surface heat up enough that the wood table needs to have a big gap? I see a few tables with very large gaps.

Back