*NEW* BGE Owners - Your Last Gasket Set, Ever?

Dont know much about eggs but some other ideas for the center. Could make a diffuser plate, or bend edges up and make a drip or water pan. or just purpose as a solid surface for cooking more delicate things on your egg
:idea:. not sure though like i said dont own an egg, do think the diffuser plate would be good idea, just cut small enoug to drop just below grill grate and cut about 3 slots around edges ought to do it maybe?

Does it have to be a complete circle? Perhaps you could use two "C" shaped pieces that make a circle. By doing it in two pieces, you would have much less waste and eliminate the problem of what to do with the donut hole. Each section could use tabs to make sure it stays in place. Just an idea.

Does it have to be a complete circle? Perhaps you could use two "C" shaped pieces that make a circle. By doing it in two pieces, you would have much less waste and eliminate the problem of what to do with the donut hole. Each section could use tabs to make sure it stays in place. Just an idea.

hahaha, working on that now. I'm going to try to have it cut in halves and weld them together without warping. Get more units out of a piece of steel.

I believe if I just placed the gaskets on the halves, when you pick it up to remove it from the egg for high heat cooks, it will want to split and sag if the ring is in halves and not welded together.

I measured up an XLarge. I can cut a full XLarge and a Large out of one piece which is great.

I will be cutting a few up soon and will be looking for some field testers if anybody is interested?

Actually, the two piece would probably work out pretty well for people who use probes because the wires would slip between the two sections instead of propping open the lid slightly or deforming the gasket.

Actually, the two piece would probably work out pretty well for people who use probes because the wires would slip between the two sections instead of propping open the lid slightly or deforming the gasket.

I agree on the thermo idea.

But, if the ring was cut in halves and the gasket applied, and when the owner picked it up by the ring edge, it would sag where the halves meet. Don't want that.

The EX Large ring measures 26 1/8" OD the Large is 21 1/8". The rings with gasketare surprisingly heavy for their size, which would add to the sagging IMO.

But if they were two completey separate halves you wouldn't have that problem. You'd just have two C-shaped gaskets that can be removed and could provide a slight gap for temp probes if desired.

But if they were two completey separate halves you wouldn't have that problem. You'd just have two C-shaped gaskets that can be removed and could provide a slight gap for temp probes if desired.

Ahh, excellent idea, but what about the other gap..?

hmmm...how will the tabs keep the half rings secured to the inside of the BGE if it's in two pieces? Just the butt against the other half ring?

Place tabs on both the inside and outside, just don't make it perfectly snug to account for slight variations in manufacture. One of the gaps would be sealed fairly well and the other open an 1/8 of an inch at best.

Place tabs on both the inside and outside, just don't make it perfectly snug to account for slight variations in manufacture. One of the gaps would be sealed fairly well and the other open an 1/8 of an inch at best.

I thought about tabs on the outside but there is the band that wraps just below the top of the base of the GE, and since it's steel, it would rust. Outside tabs wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing to most.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 3 tabs per half with the outermost tabs at the end of the half circle. Simply place a magnet to the outermost tabs to attach the two together.

The only issue I could see would be one of the halves falling in because it got nudged. That's why I was thinking outside tabs.

Realistically, if you had 3 tabs as you explained, they would butt against each other and no magnet would be necessary.

The only issue I could see would be one of the halves falling in because it got nudged. That's why I was thinking outside tabs.

Realistically, if you had 3 tabs as you explained, they would butt against each other and no magnet would be necessary.

I'll cut a few and see how it works, thanks for you input!

I'm looking forward to the results. This is the most clever idea for the BGE I've seen.

I am intersted in being a tester since my gasket is due to be replaced soon, if at all possible.

I am intersted in being a tester since my gasket is due to be replaced soon, if at all possible.

OK, what size egg?

I'll provide the ring for free, if you pay shipping and provide your own RTV and gasket if that works for you?

Do you want the full ring or the split ring?

I have a large BGE. I dont mind paying for shipping and whatever else it takes to give this a try. I already have a new gasket and adhesive sitting here waiting.

I suppose that since I suggested the two "C's" concept earlier (which you had apparently already thought of on your own), I should give that a try.

Back