*NEW* BGE Owners - Your Last Gasket Set, Ever?

This is a killer idea. A removable gasket would be great. Low and slow is when you might need a gasket, but you dont risk it getting burned. When you do hot cooks, you dont need a gasket so you can remove it.

cant beleive no one though of this earlier

Would you be able to put the gasket on both sides of the ring and then you would not have to worry about sealing the metal ring to the bottom of the Egg?

had two grey felt gaskets fail within a few weeks... replaced with nomex and 3M... have not had any trouble in almost 3 years...

it is beyond me why they keep selling BGE with the grey felt gasket instead of the nomex.

Would you be able to put the gasket on both sides of the ring and then you would not have to worry about sealing the metal ring to the bottom of the Egg?

The ring is actually sandwiched between the top & bottom gasket material.

That is correct, the ring is in the middle of the gaskets.
The ring offers the form to fit the base and dome of the BGE, also rigidity, a surface to glue the gaskets on both sides, plus the tabs are part of the ring as well.

The ring is water jet or plasma cut and I bent the tabs at 90 degrees to capture the inside of the bottom of the BGE. The tabs lock the gasket ring into place and prevents it from sliding off or rotating.

I did have to adjust the dome spring band to allow for a little bit more thickness of this ring gasket.

That is correct, the ring is in the middle of the gaskets.
The ring offers the form to fit the base and dome of the BGE, also rigidity, a surface to glue the gaskets on both sides, plus the tabs are part of the ring as well.

The ring is water jet or plasma cut and I bent the tabs at 90 degrees to capture the inside of the bottom of the BGE. The tabs lock the gasket ring into place and prevents it from sliding off or rotating.

I did have to adjust the dome spring band to allow for a little bit more thickness of this ring gasket.

Well I guess I will not do it after all...No plasma cutter or water jet. :cry:

Well I guess I will not do it after all...No plasma cutter or water jet. :cry:

One advantage of the water jet is that there is no heat generated when cutting. That is important because you want the ring to lay flat as possible. Heat will warp the ring.

I guess you could try to hand cut with shears but I'm pretty sure you'd kink the ring, etc. while cutting.

If anybody's interested? I can check on a quantity order cost of these rings from my cutter.

If anybody's interested? I can check on a quantity order cost of these rings from my cutter.

I'm already a happy customer. You could add me to the list of interested BGE owners.

I've been using the same gasket now for a couple of years but it is getting close to needing a replacement so this would be a great time for me to try something like this.

Great idea.

What kind of price?

I don't know yet. I placed a call to my cutter to get pricing on quantities of 10, 50, 100.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of drop or waste. If you look at it, the entire center is wasted, unless I can use the middle material for Medium and small BGE's?

That and ABT holders, better still how about pizza peels for the BGE with the drop waste?

Sell the peel without a handle at a price that will hep offset or better still package it together I mean hey the reason we go high heat and burn out gaskets at times is to do pizza. Hand in hand marketing. :)

That and ABT holders, better still how about pizza peels for the BGE with the drop waste?

Sell the peel without a handle at a price that will hep offset or better still package it together I mean hey the reason we go high heat and burn out gaskets at times is to do pizza. Hand in hand marketing. :)

I like those ideas! ABT would work, steel is too thin for a peel.

I actually think I can cut a Medium or Small BGE ring out of the remaining inside material to lower the cost of both.

Great Idea :thumb:

Keep us posted

I have had my BGE about a year and have had no problems as of yet, with the original gaskets.......BUT......
I don't do much high heat with it (yet)...... mainly lo 'n slo.

I'm in for an XL, maybe get a medium out of the xl and a small out of the large?? Additional plan could it be pressed into a pan to fit int he BGE?

Back