Never have I ever... (pics)

Smoke on Badger Mountain

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Josh
Smoked a brisket on a UDS.
Used Oakridge Black Ops on a brisket.
Had to use my Weber kettle lid on my UDS for clearance reasons.
Started a brisket cook for that evening as late as 0700.
Trimmed so little of the fat cap off a brisket.

Mistake? Only time will tell. And of course all you farkers as well.

So there is a brisket Throwdown going on right now (ends tomorrow) https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277701 I picked this category so by my own personal rules I must enter.

The reasons for most the firsts in this cook is that my stick burner is currently in the shop getting a full remodel from the firebox up. But that is a post for another day. I got some Black Ops in a prize pack a few weeks ago and used it on a chuck roast and loved it. Since then I've been wanting to us it on a brisket. (everything from Oakridge has been great) Thanks Mike!

Got up @0545 and started 2 fires. One to warm the house and another in the smoker. Then I got to work prepping the meat. It was a 15.6lb prime packer from Costco. I prepped this one like I would any other except for I left most of the fat cap on because I am a bit nervous about the direct heat in the drum. And used the Black Ops instead of S&P or my homemade rub.

The meat hit the smoke @0700. Pit temp was 300 and the outside temp was 27. Before prepping the brisket I checked the fit in my drum, and realized I didn't have the vertical clearance I needed for the lid to fit. So a game time adjustment was made, and I decided to run it with the lid from my kettle. The timing for today's cook was figured by the temp my drum usually runs at and a wealth of information from the brethren on cooking briskets in drum after about an hour of research on here last night.

Well, here goes nothing!

YoNjyYpl.jpg

gieoVghl.jpg

kchjb0il.jpg

duO8qzql.jpg

QOwUX7Jl.png

Close to 1.5hrs in and the cooker is running at 305 and things seem to be going well.

I'll keep ya'll updated as this experiment goes on.

photo update

You do realize this brisket is going to be one of your top three ever cooked, right?

He’s right you know.

Hope you guys are right. But but of all the other meats I have cooked on the drum (spares, beef ribs, chicken, chuck roast, turkey....) I like all of them better on the offset.

Photo update:
KYCxjKil.jpg

3hrs in and coming along nicely.

Unless it's lower than 15° outside, I think every brisket I've smoked in the last 6 or 7 years has been on my drum. Nothing against my Eggs, I would never not have at least one ceramic cooker.... but the 'Grandpaw smell' I get from the drum is hard to replace.

I think we were just put on hold

“Briskets’ done-can you hold please?”

So I uploaded the pics first for you farkers that can't wait. I would never go so far as to name Titch and Adams. Oops! Probably asleep now anyway.

Well the cook turned out great. it was 8hrs on the nose until probe tender. Smoker running at about 305 the whole time. I held it in the cooler for about 2hrs to rest before our guests arrived. Sliced and served with garlic dusted broccoli, Stagg beans, I didn't feel like making them from scratch today. salad and GF cornbread. The guests we had tonight were the executive chef from the camp where I work/live and his family. They are a gluten free family. So I was a little nervous for sure. But he said I passed haha.

So in the end the cook turned out really good. I loved the Oakridge Black Ops, I was really happy with the flavor and the bark. And I'm sure I will do more briskets on the drum in the future. However, I still prefer the flavor that I get from the offset. There is a difference with that meat dripping onto the coals that is not bad, just not my thing. But I love the ease of cooking on the drum for the last few months but I can't wait to have my stick burner rebuild finished. And I may limit my brisket seasoning to either S&P or Black Ops from now on.

Oh, the drum was running on mesquite lump and hickory chunks.

Thank ya'll for looking

Back