Neither Beans nor Spaghetti Belong In Chili

I love Cincinnati chili. Just sayin'.

Heck, yeah. It's the best. I like chili in pretty much all its various forms - Texas, New Mexico green, white chicken, Midwestern, Cincinnati. Beans, no beans, beef, no beef, whatever.

My favorite restaurant chilis are Skyline (or Dixie if you can find one), Longhorn and Charlie's Ale House. Longhorn is Texas style and quite good.

But the dishes that beat 'em all is the beans and meat at Chappell Hill Sausage Co and Copeland's Red beans and Rice with Andouille.

Heck, yeah. It's the best. I like chili in pretty much all its various forms - Texas, New Mexico green, white chicken, Midwestern, Cincinnati. Beans, no beans, beef, no beef, whatever.

My favorite restaurant chilis are Skyline (or Dixie if you can find one), Longhorn and Charlie's Ale House. Longhorn is Texas style and quite good.

But the dishes that beat 'em all is the beans and meat at Chappell Hill Sausage Co and Copeland's Red beans and Rice with Andouille.

Blue Ash (the full size restaurant) was my go to when I lived in PA and covered OH for work. Skyline, especially the original in Fountain Square, is good and easy to find (including the frozen stuff for DIY), but it needs the cinnamon toned down with something IMO.

This is “pretty dang close” to what I grew up on. Beans were sometimes there sometimes not, and they were pinto. A sleeve of crackers and ketchup made the bowl bottomless if you wanted. Ground meat, sometimes boiled and drained, sometimes fried(browned) drained, sometimes fried and fat stayed. It was usually a big pot- parents and 4 kids. It was not a winter/cold season dish. Hamburger was a many time per week dish. Hamburger gravy and toast, hamburgers, chili, goulashes, meat loaf etc etc. Looking back all were seasoned similarly though not exact. Good times

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Copycat-Dixon_s-Chili-_-Tamale-Spread-1038856

I can remember this chili mix but Dad still added the cumin oregano etc

Tone French's Chili-O Original Spices, 1.75-Ounce Packages (Pack of 18) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00099XPZ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dvYzDbJWYXW4Y

Last edited:
I grew up poor so we had beans and cornbread a lot and my dad made his chili with beans. Always served with a side of cornbread.

However, I prefer just meat in my chili and that's how I make it now ( with Jalapeno cheese cornbread on the side. Fritos are available for the poor mistaken souls who prefer that to cornbread).

Like Greg said above "If it tastes good, that's all I need."

I like it with beans. The texture and flavor goes great in it. I can do without pasta for sure. The wife likes elbows in hers so I always make some on the side for her to add in.

We always had a knife at the table when we had chili.

It was to get the ketchup bottle started. The ketchup they put in bottles back then was thick. Not this squeeze plastic bottle squirty stuff you get today

Last edited:
Chili (almost always with beans) and cinnamon rolls is how we do it in Nebraska. Heck, even the schools served it that way. Sounds like an odd combo but it just works.

You have obviously never had a Garbage Plate late at night while drunk!

You would be correct. Poutine is probably the closest I have had to that and it ranks right up there with the Cincy stuff after drinking.

Unless you count time at LaGuardia waiting on another flight, I have never been in New York state at all. If that ever changes, I will be sure to seek it out.

My mom was from Texas. NO BEANS IN THE CHILI. She would make a separate pot of beans so the non-Texans could be happy and the Chili Gods would not smite her.

Chili (almost always with beans) and cinnamon rolls is how we do it in Nebraska. Heck, even the schools served it that way. Sounds like an odd combo but it just works.
Around here it was chili and peanut butter sandwiches in school. The chili always had beans and spaghetti. In a school I would expect that to create more volume/more mouths to feed. I always loved chili day at school.

In my book there is no right or wrong way to make Chile. Just depends on what you like and what you grew up with. I grew up on Chile with beans because beans were cheaper than meat and allowed mom to stretch her meat so it would last longer. I still prefer mine with beans. The wife and I always like to make Cincinnati style with the leftovers. If Texans like there's without beans that is fine with me, but I will not condemn them because of it. It's all good to me.

Beans for me please. My mother-in-law used to make spaghetti to go with her chili, I did not turn it down mostly because her chili portion size was lacking and the pasta did help fill the void. She was also a firm believer that a sandwich did not need more than two slices of Buddig see-through sliced meat.

should a pork shoulder seasoned with hickory salt and liquid smoke be called "BBQ?"

is this string about preferences or authenticity?

Back