Need to replace thermometer

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
The time has finally come, and I need to replace my Taylor thermometer units. I had 2, that I used specifically for grate temps. I have another unit I use for meat temps, but I"ll use it, then not... So, as I look at my options, there seems to be a lot to choose from out there, so what are you all using for your cooks, and why did you chose one over the other? I am trying not to get too crazy with the number of probes, etc but I am willing to put some money in, if the product is good and will last...

I have looked at Inkbird, fireboard, and also gone as simple as looking at Maverick and thermopro. Still just trying to figure out what way to go here....

Are you wanting a thermometer to measure the ambient temp of your pit, or one to measure the internal temp of what you are cooking?

Have had my fireboard for almost two years without any notable issues. Six probe ports. Ability to add a fan controller. Besides cost, I haven’t see any downside to it.

Are you wanting a thermometer to measure the ambient temp of your pit, or one to measure the internal temp of what you are cooking?

I'm actually taking the time to look at both. I don't really have any requirements, so it's more of a blank slate.

I have 3 thermo's I use for most things I probe.
Because if I'm going to use a thermometer, I use it for the whole cook.

A ThermoPro TP-08
And Inkbird IBT-4XP, bluetooth.
And an Inkbird IRF-4S

They all do grill temps, as well as probes.
I also have a smattering of handy dandy stickers from over the years. But I'm trying to be modern.
Most of the time I fly by the seat of my pants.
(And on a grill, that smarts!)

I have 3 thermo's I use for most things I probe.
Because if I'm going to use a thermometer, I use it for the whole cook.

A ThermoPro TP-08
And Inkbird IBT-4XP, bluetooth.
And an Inkbird IRF-4S

They all do grill temps, as well as probes.
I also have a smattering of handy dandy stickers from over the years. But I'm trying to be modern.
Most of the time I fly by the seat of my pants.
(And on a grill, that smarts!)

Hahaha! True...

How do you like the inkbird?

If you are looking to monitor pit temps, i would look into one that can also control pit temps with a pid controller and a blower fan. If money isnt a issue, go with fireboard. It comes with two pit probes and 4 meat probes. And you can buy the optional Drive cable that will control a blower fan so you can set a temp and it will maintain that temp providing you have enough fuel to keep the temps. Its completely WiFi and have very good range, and also is voice activated with Alexa.
"Alexa, whats fireboard pit temp? Alexa: "Fireboard pit temp is 225F" "Alexa, set Fireboard pit temp to 250F" Alexa: "Fireboard pit temp has been set to 250F"

You get the Jist.

Last edited:
I have not gotten a chance to use it yet since my pit is still on order but from all my research the Fireboard is the current leader in thermometer technology. With WiFi integration and cloud upload of your cooks where you can take notes and go back and review.

Also from what I read set up is much easier than other cloud based thermometers since it is all done through the initial bluetooth link from your app/phone.

The fireboard can also be easily integrated into a automatic temp controller down the road if you want to add the drive cable and fan at some point.

Edit: I forgot this, and its important, if you DO move up to the automatic temp controller feature I think the fireboard is the ONLY fan controller that will run the fan at partial speeds instead of an ON/OFF configuration, this is a crucial feature to me because it means the fireboard drive can bring on the fan slowly and not put big bursts of air through the pit.

I have not gotten a chance to use it yet since my pit is still on order but from all my research the Fireboard is the current leader in thermometer technology. With WiFi integration and cloud upload of your cooks where you can take notes and go back and review.

Also from what I read set up is much easier than other cloud based thermometers since it is all done through the initial bluetooth link from your app/phone.

The fireboard can also be easily integrated into a automatic temp controller down the road if you want to add the drive cable and fan at some point.

Edit: I forgot this, and its important, if you DO move up to the automatic temp controller feature I think the fireboard is the ONLY fan controller that will run the fan at partial speeds instead of an ON/OFF configuration, this is a crucial feature to me because it means the fireboard drive can bring on the fan slowly and not put big bursts of air through the pit.

Ahh, cool!! Thanks!! I have been leaning towards the Fireboard, but wanted to be sure before I drop $240 on it..

Hahaha! True...

How do you like the inkbird?

They work well for me.
But... the Bluetooth isn't that impressive to me. (IBT-4XP)
Not much range at my house. I had hopes of more range to watch a process.
But the phone has to stay close and drops signal a lot.
Eye candy, but Muh....

I have an Inkbird PID I use with my electric smokers. Liked it so well, I was interested in other Inkbird items.

The TP-08, and the Inkbird IRF-4S, both have good range at my home.
I don't often use multi point monitoring. But sometimes it is nice.
Mostly I use the TP-08. Grill temp, and a single probe.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1XDYpKApHkfEaE6q7

Back