Need some tips on how to keep Pork ribs juicy cooking caveman style

tacodude

Knows what a fatty is.
I’m going to be in a Rib only competition to raise money for Autism and you have to cook them with no electronics or foil. I’m looking for some suggestions from the Brethren on the best way to get my St Louis style ribs tender, juicy and a clean bite cooking that way? I’ve always foiled my ribs so this will be a new experience for me and I need to get some practice in. I will be cooking them in my 18.5 wsm with or without my rib having rack or if my Hunsaker Vortex drum gets here in time I will use that.
Let me here your best tips and tricks to cook this way.
Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never foiled my ribs. Never competed either though. Regardless, my ribs have never been dry. I cook them at 275-300 on a WSM. Dry brine the night before. Smoke em till they pass the bend test (usually 3-5hrs). Lightly sauce when they come off ,and serve with dipping sauce.
By Caveman style, do you mean throwing them right on the coals? That I've never done. Never cooked anything that way.
Good luck!

Yeah I have never used electronics or foil or sauce. B-Backs, and St Louis always come out moist and tender. Occasionally on full spares the tip ends may get a bit overdone.

Practice with water in the pan, spritz, and try using a mop (read: butter) of some sort to keep the bark from getting too thick. Might try posting in the comp forums for more tips

While cooker's coming to temp - I recommend 250-275 - skin and rub your ribs. I recommend a sugar free rub (since you're asking) like Stubbs Basic BBQ Rub, or salt, pepper, onion, and garlic. Make sure you can see the meat clearly through the rub.

I’d use about 4 fist size cherry wood chunks and all-natural charcoal briquettes. Unless you already use a terra cotta saucer in place of the water pan, I would foil the pan with no water, leaving a gap between the foil and the top of the water pan. This could help with fat burning and creating an off-smell and/or taste. When your cooker's exhausting thin blue or invisible smoke (prob 60-90 minutes after lighting), put the bones on, bone side down. Do 18.5 inchers need to cut them in half? Go drink some beer and play with your kids or do some house work. Don't open your pit until you think they're done. For a 3-pound-rack, you should think they're done in 4 hours. For a 2.5-pound-rack, think they're done in 3.5 hours. If they're not, leave them on another 45 minutes. Different methods of checking for doneness - I think they all work just fine. But my nose normally tells me when they're done enough for me to love them.

This has been my preferred method for some time. I don't think it gets simpler, and I really don't think they get any better than this method. Once in a blue moon, I get the hankerin' for some sauce.

Good luck!

While cooker's coming to temp - I recommend 250-275 - skin and rub your ribs. I recommend a sugar free rub (since you're asking) like Stubbs Basic BBQ Rub, or salt, pepper, onion, and garlic. Make sure you can see the meat clearly through the rub.

I’d use about 4 fist size cherry wood chunks and all-natural charcoal briquettes. Unless you already use a terra cotta saucer in place of the water pan, I would foil the pan with no water, leaving a gap between the foil and the top of the water pan. This could help with fat burning and creating an off-smell and/or taste. When your cooker's exhausting thin blue or invisible smoke (prob 60-90 minutes after lighting), put the bones on, bone side down. Do 18.5 inchers need to cut them in half? Go drink some beer and play with your kids or do some house work. Don't open your pit until you think they're done. For a 3-pound-rack, you should think they're done in 4 hours. For a 2.5-pound-rack, think they're done in 3.5 hours. If they're not, leave them on another 45 minutes. Different methods of checking for doneness - I think they all work just fine. But my nose normally tells me when they're done enough for me to love them.

This has been my preferred method for some time. I don't think it gets simpler, and I really don't think they get any better than this method. Once in a blue moon, I get the hankerin' for some sauce.

Good luck!

I'd go with this. I cook on a kettle, never wrap, and basically ignore things once the ribs are on until it's time to see if they are done. A closed cooker keeps the meat moist. The bend test, for me, has never been reliable, I end up with fall off the bones ribs. A toothpick sliding in and out easily has never failed to produce a clean bite-through rib.

I thought the water thing was disproved? I cook ribs at 300 unwrapped. In my experience they come out better than foil and extra stuff added in the foil. Just my .02.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I do a Memphis style rub which is a one third sugar. Spritz every 30 minuets with some apple juice and another shake of rub. The St. Louis cut is done in 5 hours at 275. Clean and bite thru.

bd2dba44da12fbec2a9c8b45e8659257.jpg

I’m going to be in a Rib only competition to raise money for Autism and you have to cook them with no electronics or foil. I’m looking for some suggestions from the Brethren on the best way to get my St Louis style ribs tender, juicy and a clean bite cooking that way? I’ve always foiled my ribs so this will be a new experience for me and I need to get some practice in. I will be cooking them in my 18.5 wsm with or without my rib having rack or if my Hunsaker Vortex drum gets here in time I will use that.
Let me here your best tips and tricks to cook this way.
Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't help much since ribs and I haven't yet found our happy place but
I wonder if the rules allow analog pit temp gages or if they are considered "electronics".

4.5 hours @ 275 for most comps now.

I used to wet wrap for years with comp ribs. Most times I let them cook straight unless color becomes an issue. I still don't wet wrap, just dry before saucing.
dc70e3a69accd9ce9dbed70cfa37ea0e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd love to give you some pointers, but since you'll be the competition that day.....:laugh:

Great event, and there are 26 teams competing again this year.

Back