THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I might cook a pizza at 500 degrees but not a butt. If you have any control here see if you can't at least splay them open and cook them at a lower temp. they will cook quicker when laid open like that and have more bark as well. Good luck but I really like Wampuse's Idea of a cook off.
Dave

I had a problem one time with my smoker and the temps got up in the 375 F to 400 F range when I was cooking an 8.5 pound pork butt. Temps got way out of hand. Long story, but (no pun intended), it worked out fine. I foiled the butt when it got to 170 F and let it cook another 2.5 hours. It cooked for 4.5 hours total. I removed it from the smoker and let it rest for 2 hours.

It was the best shoulder I have ever cooked. It was moist, tender, flavorful, and the bark was perfect. Here is a pic of some of it -

picture.php

We sometimes do a shoulder with a direct cook for around 5 hrs at high temp for chopped pork. It Does create a very thick bark and imho not suited for pulled pork. A lot of folks in this part of Ga. do mostly chopped pork.

I did a hi heat cook Sat. and the packer in the far end of my chargriller smoked at 300 for most of the time, with a couple of 330 degree spikes. Anyway, some of the bark actually tasted burnt, though I didn't reach the tenderness I wanted.

....so from now on....Hi heat= Reynolds wrap...or that's what works for me. Ya'll can do whatcha want, and I know that some claim to use no foil and cook up to 325, but 500 for a pork shoulder is out of the queastion and just plain ridiculous...maybe on a different planet.

It may get a thick enough bark on the outside quickly to keep the juices in there and keep it moist, depending on when he pulls them to wrap and rest... MAYBE! :crazy:
Most would shoot him on site for trying such a thing..
bring plenty extra burgers and dogs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back