Need some Pork shoulder opinions.

I might cook a pizza at 500 degrees but not a butt. If you have any control here see if you can't at least splay them open and cook them at a lower temp. they will cook quicker when laid open like that and have more bark as well. Good luck but I really like Wampuse's Idea of a cook off.
Dave

I had a problem one time with my smoker and the temps got up in the 375 F to 400 F range when I was cooking an 8.5 pound pork butt. Temps got way out of hand. Long story, but (no pun intended), it worked out fine. I foiled the butt when it got to 170 F and let it cook another 2.5 hours. It cooked for 4.5 hours total. I removed it from the smoker and let it rest for 2 hours.

It was the best shoulder I have ever cooked. It was moist, tender, flavorful, and the bark was perfect. Here is a pic of some of it -

picture.php

We sometimes do a shoulder with a direct cook for around 5 hrs at high temp for chopped pork. It Does create a very thick bark and imho not suited for pulled pork. A lot of folks in this part of Ga. do mostly chopped pork.

I did a hi heat cook Sat. and the packer in the far end of my chargriller smoked at 300 for most of the time, with a couple of 330 degree spikes. Anyway, some of the bark actually tasted burnt, though I didn't reach the tenderness I wanted.

....so from now on....Hi heat= Reynolds wrap...or that's what works for me. Ya'll can do whatcha want, and I know that some claim to use no foil and cook up to 325, but 500 for a pork shoulder is out of the queastion and just plain ridiculous...maybe on a different planet.

It may get a thick enough bark on the outside quickly to keep the juices in there and keep it moist, depending on when he pulls them to wrap and rest... MAYBE! :crazy:
Most would shoot him on site for trying such a thing..
bring plenty extra burgers and dogs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back