Need some advice

WhiskyJoe

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Eric
Hi Everyone! Happy New Year!

I just heard that my new LSG offset is going to start fabrication next week. Can't wait!!!! I want to create a list of things to make early on and I could use some help. Me controlling temps on the first few cooks will be like a blind guy driving on ice, I don't want to do anything hard (no brisket!). My thoughts are:
  • Fatties
  • Smoked meatloaf
  • pork shoulder

What else do y'all recommend?

Chicken quarters are cheap and you can arrange to find out hot/cool spots. As a first foray into beef, maybe a chuck roast.

Burgers! They not only taste great, but spray grease as they cook, which coats the inside of the smoker.

I really like to bake biscuits. This way I can see hot spots, how clean I am burning the fire (no soot visible), ten make fattie country gravy for biscuits and gravy:)

For some reason I always do chicken in a new cooker.
It tastes good if things go right, and it’s cheap enough that you don’t mind tossing if thing go wrong.

I always do a porterhouse steak to break in a new grill. It tastes great and it’s pretty hard to mess up a grilled porterhouse steak.

Burgers! They not only taste great, but spray grease as they cook, which coats the inside of the smoker.

I really like to bake biscuits. This way I can see hot spots, how clean I am burning the fire (no soot visible), ten make fattie country gravy for biscuits and gravy:)

At what temp do you cook the burgers? I'm used to burgers on the 600 degree gas grill

For some reason I always do chicken in a new cooker.
It tastes good if things go right, and it’s cheap enough that you don’t mind tossing if thing go wrong.

I always do a porterhouse steak to break in a new grill. It tastes great and it’s pretty hard to mess up a grilled porterhouse steak.

:clap2:

I like to season with Pam Do a biscuit test to check out the hot spots and then do a Naked Fatty for the inaugural cook

Back