Need opinions, please.

My guess is you were robbed. Were there new judges or inexperienced judges at the contest?

As for the grain. I often get briskets where the grain is either really tight or really loose, like how yours look. My brisket from last weekend in Arthur< Illinois was like that. One end of the flat was grainy and the other end was very tight. I went right in the middle and I guess I picked it right. They rewarded me with 1st place.

My personal taste is for tight grain. My sister thinks that a loose grain brisket looks the best. She loses and I generally win though... As I get the final vote on taste.

But I would not be too disappointed. Next time out could be all 9's!!!

There were both new judges, and non KCBS judges!

I cooked 2, and the tighter of the 2 didn't taste as good as the one that used Plowboys Dirt (oops, gave that away). The better tasting one was the looser one, but i figured, "what can it hurt"?? Now I know.

Wow, that box should not have received under a 7 for appearance and maybe not under an 8 if I could see a better photo. I agree with Scottie... robbed!

Another question of curiousity

How did you find out that the two were new non-CBJ judges?

A judge, wearing a Columbia City Council polo shirt came by after turn in's. I gave him some sausage samples. He told me that they actually had 5 non cbj's they "pulled off the street".

Fark Columbia!

So, could you elucidate a bit?
What could be improved to make that an 8 or 9?
Any guesses as to where the 6 and 5s might have come from?

5 out of 6 judges gave it a 7 or less. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as a bad table. It's more probable that the entry was not as visually appealing as it needed to be. Most of our calls come when we score a 6 judge average of 8+ on appearance. We occasionally hit with appearance scores of 7.5+ but never below 7.5. I probably pay too much attention to the appearance scores but I still analyze my entry pictures closely looking for ways to improve.

The photo provided is small and was taken with a diagonal viewpoint so it's especially hard to analyze. Pictures can certainly be deceiving and I've certainly had the benefit to study the picture. That being said, here are some opinions based soley on the picture:
  • I like the shine...makes the meat look moist and inviting.
  • I like the smoke ring.
  • The first and second slice have dark blotches in the same location...looks like injection stains.
  • The grain on the left is in a chevron pattern...looks like it was sliced with the grain. I looked at pics of our 20+ past entries and have yet to see a grain pattern like that. Maybe this was a curvy grain?
  • It appears that the layout is not centered (more green on right).
  • It appears that the slices were not layed out evenly vertically.
  • The "loose" grain on the top left region appears to be overcooked.
  • The lower right corner of the first slice appears to have some of the point attached.
I realize this is hyper-critical but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss such consistent scores.

Back