Need help asap!!!

You're confusing botulism with trichenosis (sp?).

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

The inside of the meat may not be sterile..Do you know who handled it? Did they poke it with a contaminated probe or knife (introducing bacteria internally)?

Everytime I've cooked butts or brisket it's hit 140 before the 2 hour mark (250deg pit). I've had fires go out and have been forced to throw out some expensive meat, however my family's health is far more important than a few $ and bravado.

Sorry, yes I am. I have that problem sometimes. But that is why pork was always cooked to 165.

Right..Botulism is usually seen in preserved foods these days (improper canning, preserving etc). In its case, the bacteria itself is killed in cooking, however the toxins remain; It's the toxins that kill you.

I'll keep it simple since you told me to research it before I spread wrong info. Please cite your scientific research and case studies to settle this debate once and for all. Then the mods can sticky this thread and we'll never have to see this question again!

Thanks!

Start here... hours of fun reading...

The thing is to have an understanding of bacterial transmission itself before going on to basic food prep etc. Another thing is this documention is made simple to cover as much innocent misunderstanding as possible, so that even if someone does make a mistake, its not going to result in mass extinction. I think a lot of the misunderstanding just comes from the fact that people read the big headings and don't pay a lot of attention to the detail and the science.

If you want more information, I am sure you can Google further scientific papers.

Hope this helps. I don't think this will make it to a sticky though. There will always be someone asking these questions. Perhaps I should not have been so aggressive in this thread... it just seriously p!sses me off when people throw out perfectly good meat because they say "It's better to be safe than sorry" but they don't know what safe IS.

Cheers!

Bill

Start here... hours of fun reading...

The thing is to have an understanding of bacterial transmission itself before going on to basic food prep etc. Another thing is this documention is made simple to cover as much innocent misunderstanding as possible, so that even if someone does make a mistake, its not going to result in mass extinction. I think a lot of the misunderstanding just comes from the fact that people read the big headings and don't pay a lot of attention to the detail and the science.

If you want more information, I am sure you can Google further scientific papers.

Hope this helps. I don't think this will make it to a sticky though. There will always be someone asking these questions. Perhaps I should not have been so aggressive in this thread... it just seriously p!sses me off when people throw out perfectly good meat because they say "It's better to be safe than sorry" but they don't know what safe IS.

Cheers!

Bill

I'm not reading that, I didn't ask for an encyclopedia with and a note that says read it yourself. Post links to your scientific foundings that paying consumers of pork cooked like that have ZERO, yes, ZERO chance of getting food poisoning. Factoring in inproper handling by the butcher, injecting meat while uncooked enabling any outside toxins to reach the inside steril area of the meat, and temp checking the meat while being cooked enabling any outside toxins to reach the inside.

Good 'day mate.

Sorry Aussie, still have to disagree. VAGriller is bang on... You can tell the mother of the child who gets sick that it p!sses you off to throw out meat. BBQ has a lower margin of error than other cooking methods due to the low and slow temps. One needs to respect that. Any food safety article or study will conquer. There's a reason "better safe than sorry" is an adage; Hundreds of years of people learning the hard way!

Hey guys... for what its worth everything turned out great. My fire wasn't out nearly as long as I had originally thought. I ate plenty of it along with many family and friends with no issues. Actually, the brisket was probably some of the best I have ever had!

I got lucky this time. I need to pay a little better attention next time. Even more so with this being a new smoker that I don't have much experience with.

Thanks for your help guys!

Back