THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2 cents: If the NCPC wants to help out the backyard cook, they should add a separate category for non-propane users. Cut out the onsite presentation too. You would probably see more interest and more new faces.

I learned about 8 years ago to not take NCPC contests too serious in terms of chances to win. I was asked to cook by someone who entered us as a team. Found out about the thermometers, napkins, knifes and water bottles at the on site presentation. We got the "Y'all haven't ever done one of these contests things, have ya?" :twitch:

I did like to crap myself when our "head cook" (i.e. the guy who did not look so rough and could talk) asked the judges would they like a drink of liquor...and it was 9 am in the morning! It was priceless to see the look on those judge's faces :clap:

We had fun then and still do when we cook one of their contests.

They actually get plenty of interest and participation. The largest whole hog competition in the US is a NCPC event in Newport NC that usually has about 90 cook teams every year. They sell all the BBQ after the contest and are usually sold out a few hours after the judging is over. All of the money for the BBQ sales goes to various charity groups.

My 2 cents: If the NCPC wants to help out the backyard cook, they should add a separate category for non-propane users. Cut out the onsite presentation too. You would probably see more interest and more new faces.

It is what it is. Not everyone will want to cook in a NCPC competition, but then again, not everyone wants to cook in a KCBS or MBN or whatever other competition either. This is just available to those who have a desire to compete using gas or whatever other fuel they might use.

Personally, I've had a GREAT time both cooking in NCPC competitions and in judging NCPC competitions!!

Back