NC BBQ regs

My 2 cents: If the NCPC wants to help out the backyard cook, they should add a separate category for non-propane users. Cut out the onsite presentation too. You would probably see more interest and more new faces.

I learned about 8 years ago to not take NCPC contests too serious in terms of chances to win. I was asked to cook by someone who entered us as a team. Found out about the thermometers, napkins, knifes and water bottles at the on site presentation. We got the "Y'all haven't ever done one of these contests things, have ya?" :twitch:

I did like to crap myself when our "head cook" (i.e. the guy who did not look so rough and could talk) asked the judges would they like a drink of liquor...and it was 9 am in the morning! It was priceless to see the look on those judge's faces :clap:

We had fun then and still do when we cook one of their contests.

They actually get plenty of interest and participation. The largest whole hog competition in the US is a NCPC event in Newport NC that usually has about 90 cook teams every year. They sell all the BBQ after the contest and are usually sold out a few hours after the judging is over. All of the money for the BBQ sales goes to various charity groups.

My 2 cents: If the NCPC wants to help out the backyard cook, they should add a separate category for non-propane users. Cut out the onsite presentation too. You would probably see more interest and more new faces.

It is what it is. Not everyone will want to cook in a NCPC competition, but then again, not everyone wants to cook in a KCBS or MBN or whatever other competition either. This is just available to those who have a desire to compete using gas or whatever other fuel they might use.

Personally, I've had a GREAT time both cooking in NCPC competitions and in judging NCPC competitions!!

Back