My Weekend Smoking

cardman

Knows what a fatty is.
First post guys and I want to start by thanking everybody on this board. :mrgreen:

I have been lurking for awhile taking it all in. I have never had sucess with ribs. In fact it was so bad that I had tried everything including baking them before in the oven and then finishing on the grill and that still wasent getting the job done. Well luckily I found this board and the 2-2-1 method and my luck has changed.

Chose to do a 7lb butt this weekend from Sam's and picked up a quarter or so rack of ribs from Publix. Should have gone with the full rack but with my previous luck, I didnt feel like wasting money on another bad rack of ribs.

Used my 15 year old Char-Griller Barrel that was a hand me down from my grandpa. Charcoal and wood by the fire vent and had it about 15% open or so while smoking/grilling the whole time.

Started the grill with charcoal at 7:45 AM, and had the butt and ribs on at 8:30. Set the timer and every 50 mins added a handfull of coals(Kingsford) and a few small chunks of hickory and apple wood as well as flipping/rotating the meat. Was able to keep my temp in the middle of the grill anywhere from 215-275. I know its a pretty wide range but its about all I can do without a smoker box set up.

Wrapped the ribs in foil about 10:30 with alittle beer and bbq sauce. Cooked for another2 hours then put them right over the fire on the 2nd level. Finally took the ribs off about 1:30 and they were perfect, alittle darker then I would like but Im not sure if that was due to the grilling or the new rub I was trying out. Side note: I bout pooped my pants when I went to grab them off the grill and they broke in half becasue they were so tender. Not used to that happening:becky:

Back to the butt. Wrapped that in foil about 12:30 and it was 155-160 after 4 hours of smoking. It was up to 200-205 at 3:00, about an hour earlier then I had planned, which is better then not hitting temp I guess.(Total time on grill was 6.5 hours.) Wrapped in a towel, placed in the cooler and pulled about 3 hours later at 6:00 and boy was it good.

Im trying to post pictures but I dont know if it will let me.

About the rub I used:

I usually use Sams generic bbq rub but they did not have any bbq rub at all and I was not happy about that. They had 100 different spices and rubs, but not one bbq rub other then a chipolte, but I wasent sure about that. Stopped at the Publix and bought the McCormack cowboy rub, something new they had. The label says coarsly ground pepper, mustard seed and coffee, so I said what the hell and gave it a try.

It was alittle to strong for the ribs I felt like but did a pretty good job on the bbq. I dont know if I would buy it again partly because nothing about it stuck out to me and Im not a big fan of paying $5 for such a small amount of rub. Used all of it between both meats.

Sorry for the long post guys, but just wanted to thank/tell you guys about my sucessful weekend.

Welcome aboard Cardman, you have found the right place for all things BBQ, and then some.

Your smoke sounds good. Search posting pictures for details on how to post. It is so easy, even I figured it out. Good luck and God Bless!

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0480.jpg
    IMAG0480.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMAG0482.jpg
    IMAG0482.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMAG0484.jpg
    IMAG0484.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 146
  • IMAG0486.jpg
    IMAG0486.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMAG0488.jpg
    IMAG0488.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMAG0489.jpg
    IMAG0489.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMAG0487.jpg
    IMAG0487.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMAG0493.jpg
    IMAG0493.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 145
Great first post. You cant plan exactly when your butt will be done the way you want it. The motto is its done when its done. Depending on the farkin meat and the farkin temp and the farkin weather and who knows what else lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Great first post. You cant plan exactly when your butt will be done the way you want it. The motto is its done when its done. Depending on the farkin meat and the farkin temp and the farkin weather and who knows what else lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Yep I agree. Most of the time I cook them are when we are having friends over and there's been a few times when its 8 PM and we were suppose to eat at 6 and were all starving. But its always worth the wait.

Yep I agree. Most of the time I cook them are when we are having friends over and there's been a few times when its 8 PM and we were suppose to eat at 6 and were all starving. But its always worth the wait.

Hey cardman, welcome aboard!

I used to have that same problem. But one if the first things I learned from the brethren is cooler resting. Now I start waaaayyyy before my friends are due, then pull them when probe tender, wrap with a layer of heavy duty foil and a towel and pop them in a cooler to rest and hold temp. I did this last night and three hours after putting them in the cooler, they were still hot to the touch, had to use a fork to pull and let the bigger pieces cool before I could pull them! I feel sure they could have gone for another few hours and been fine!

Mike

Tarheelsmoker, great advice for anyone with timing issues. The ice chest or cambro is one of the best tools a BBQ person can have in their arsenal.

Last edited:
Welcome brother! Glad you had a great cook. Keep up the hard work and you'll have many more rewarding cooks!

Sounds like all in all you had a good cook. Keep in mind the little things you did that you liked the results of and keep doing them while tweaking the things that you don't. Being a committed smoker now, never let the cupboard go without your favorite rubs for ribs, brisket, butts, etc. Make sure you always have them handy, Lastly, welcome to the Brethren. Learn from the Brethrem & share what you do with us.

Back