THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome walk-through! That bottom container of pulled looks just right for mailing to Georgia!!!

Last pRon of the day

2-16-2010 7:30 pm CST

So you thought I quit for the day? Not happening, I had skin to deal with!

Yup, you got it, smoked then deep friend Pork skins.

bonus001-365x274.jpg

After pulling the whole pork leg it was clear the foiling stage had tenderized the now smoked skin. I trimmed it into small pieces and refrigerated for a few hours. Eventually pulled out the Deep Fryer, brought it all the way up to the 375 degree range, and plunged in a handful of skins.

Good thing my fryer has a vented lid, there was some serious snapping and popping once the skin chunks sunk into the hot peanut oil. Fried them for approximately 3 minutes, moving them around time to time for even cooking. The first batch went very well, the skins puffed up, although I was still concerned this would be some tough, crunchy stuff.

Set the first batch aside to cool and dry and started the second batch. While the third batch was down I finally taste tested a small piece. I was stunned to find the smoke/foil/deep fry process had produced some crunchy, exceptionally flavorful, yet lite and easy to chew pork rinds.

The flavor is mildly hickory smoke, porky/bacon goodness. The texture is wonderful, crunchy enough yet easy to chew. No dental nightmares involved with this batch. Appearance, as in photos, is wonderful but deceptive, as I look at the photos and the pork rinds they just don't look as fluffy and easy to eat as they are!

bonus002.jpg

Thanks again for following my ramblings, hope someone can get something from this (besides hungry).

:cool:

After thoughts

I had a high demand for whole pig roasts last year, probably be more of the same ahead for 2010. I've been trying to find a suitable way to increase yield without having to increase size and cook times.

This UDS Whole Rear Pork Leg run helped lock me in. The 20# roast I did would probably safely provide an additional 40 to 60 healthy servings. The final product was so similar to whole roast pig pulled pork, it'd be a challenge to tell the difference if you had both in front of you. Additionally, I can get these Whole Legs considerably cheaper per pound compared to my roaster pig costs locally.

It's a win win situation if I need to suppliment a pig roast. Less pig to haul, cheaper meat price, ease of use of equipment.

I'm really enjoying the UDS. Building them, seasoning them, and cooking on them. Everyone who's had a taste of the results has really enjoyed the flame/pit flavor the UDS brings to the food.

I'm also enjoying the reduced fuel costs. My UDS experience will have me cooking in the driveway more often, at less cost, allowing me to continue to learn and grow on the Q path ahead of me.

I've been to a Weber restaurant in Chicago, it was fun to see those monster kettles doing up some steaks. I now have a growing vision of something like that but with a line of Stainless UDS cranking out top-notch Q.

All those rinds need is some hot sauce!! The skin doesn't fry up as nice as when it's raw, but still crunchy enough. Put those bad boys in a pot of beans or better yet............some collard greens........HOOOOO BOY!! Good eats.

Thanks for all the pron today!! It got me through a long arse day at work!!:eusa_clap

I'd hit all of that!

All I can say is holy pig wow!!!!! Man does that ever look wonderful.

Nice work up and presentation.......

Paul B
SS UDS

Thank you!
I felt I'd lurked and gleened so much information from these forums it was time to pay some back.

hot sauce

I already ate about 25% of those rinds.
I broke out a fresh bottle of Tobasco Chipotle.
:biggrin:
I love how pork rinds dance and pop when that sauce hits them!

Left out one detail!

Sorry, I keep meaning to mention this.

I know some folks have mentioned in the forums that they don't care for that "pit" or flame broiled flavor the UDS produce.

I used Kingsford Hickory and solid hickory chunks in this smoke and the hickory smoke came through, very mellow and smooth, it penetrated deep into the hams. I expected that "pit" or flame broiled flavor to be in there too. With this whole rear leg "ham" cut the pit flavor is very very mild. It just dances a little with the hickory, something more of a hint.

In my previous UDS cooks pork shoulders, turkey legs, chicken and beef all took that pit flavor in deep, almost strong, but we really enjoyed it. One cook was a mixed batch with a 5# Boston Butt, 3 turkey legs, and one whole chicken - the interesting thing about that cook? The turkey and chicken took on some pork flavoring that was devine.

Back