THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice looking leg you have there. :biggrin:

Yet another thing to add to my ever-growing "to do" list.

Skin!!!!

Excellent question, excellent. (wiping drool off the keyboard and chin as I type)

Last year I did a dozen or so whole roasting pigs in my "Mistress" (MeadowCreek TS250 reverse flow) using primarily charcoal and hickory splits. Smoking/bbq-ing a whole roaster you don't necessarily have to worry so much about over-smoking, having the entire beast in there with all the skin protects that meat wonderfully.

The skin results from my pig roasts usually have a very strong smoke taste, almost on the border of too much. Some folks have nibbled, some folks have passed, the damned ears almost always get donated to someone's very lucky dog.

I've been looking for someone with a commercial deep frier they'd be willing to smoke up their grease in by deep-frying some of the smoke pig skin. No takers yet.

OK, enough back ground... my point is, I've done chicken, turkey legs, Boston Butt-shoulder, and beef chuck roasts in my Flat Top UDS. I'm having a hard time seeing "over smoking" in a UDS, you'd have to really use some green wood or wet wood to do it, IMHO.

As well, the UDS gave that "flame broiled" flavor along with the smoke to all the meats I've done so far.

Now that you mention the skin I'm hoping it'll have that same flame broiled, light smoke flavor every thing else has. I've got an electric deep frier sitting loaded with peanut oil just begging me to deep fry some pork skin.

I realize smoking, low and slow, like this is not the same process they use to make pork rinds available in stores as snacks. But it's close enough I've often wondered what taking that smoked skin and frying it would produce.

Perhaps I'll be extending this thread with some Deep Fried BBQ Pron later?

That second pic is so SEXY!! Dayyum that looks good.

I liked how my digital camera even captured the steam rolling off the meat.

And NO, I did not lick it - I swear!!! :cool:

It's getting that whole pig roast smell going on... my Pig Roasting nasal glands are telling me only another hour or so. I'll stick it with a thermo around 1pm and see if my nose is in the know.

The skin from my drum smokes has always turned out just right. Not oversomoked at all. Glad to see you have the fryer filled up and waiting. That's what I had in mind. Also, you can chop it up fine right after removing it and toss it in a big pot of beans...........DANG GOOD!!

I'll be waiting for more pron!

Just a passing thought as I go for coffee and a sniff...

When I do whole pig roasts I cook at 230 degrees and use a simple 1.5 hour per 10# of dressed pig weight. When it's getting close to time using that formula I get a thermo into the shoulder, hip, and loin.
Once those areas have all hit 185 degrees or better I normally ramp down my smoker temp to around 190/200 and "hold" the pig til it's serving time.

In all the gigs I had over last year the formula has worked well, I've never had to hold a pig more than an hour. About an hour before serving time I pull the pig off the heat and let it rest. I'm usually chopping up veggies and fruit for a little pig-bling.

About the time I start pulling and serving I get temperature readings near 200 degrees. The skin comes off, the meat starts melting and shreading, oh so tender. Pull a bit off and the bone structure justs falls apart. The meat has always been extremely moist, even refridgerated left-overs a few days later are still dripping on re-heat.

My goal with this UDS Whole Pork Leg cook is to reproduce that Pig Roast experience on a smaller scale. So I'm shooting for a 185 degree reading in the thickest/deepest parts of this roast. Once I'm there I've already got a cooler lined up to toss the foiled package into for an hour before I get to pulling it all apart.

Anyone reading this thread smoke a similar cut?
Any intel on temps, moisture, or overall experience?

Share up guys, I know yer looking at my pRon!!!

2-16-2010 12:50pm CST

14 hours since the meat first went in and deep tissue temperature is about 190 degrees! I gloved up and flipped the foiled whole leg roast over and it's got that "done" feel to it. You can feel it's ready to just fall off
those bones.

Next time around for cooking one of these I'll easily be able to pull off a 14 hour cook with one charcoal load with a shake/stir of the charcoal basket at foiling time. The original charcoal load I cooked with is in the second UDS and still holding temperature at 230 degrees, proving to me I would have done fine with it.

Better to burn an extra 10# of charcoal and cover my butt than have under-cooked results.

Time to pull the bundle out of the smoker and let it rest a while. With the temps around 190 and climbing I'm not even going to bother with popping it in a cooler for the rest time. I'm just going to slap that monster in a big pan and let it sit, it's going to make the entire house smell so wonderful.

Plenty of photos to follow.

1:05pm

Pulled the package, it dripped all over me. I DID lick it this time.
YUMMO! :icon_wink

Going to let it rest for about an hour, then peal off some foil, take some pRon photos to share, and pan it all up.

I've been introducing the locals to something I tried decades ago, Pig Picking Sauce. I brewed up a batch yesterday just for the occasion.

Apple Cider Vinegar, Water, Sugar, Salt, Black Pepper, Course Ground Red Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Honey, fresh Garlic and Onion. I like to pretty much blend the garlic and onion into a liquid state. Mix it all up, let it age at least 24 hours before use.

It breaks up the grease a little and makes the pork flavor really pop, IMHO.

The BBQ Widow (my wife) growled at me on her way out the door heading to work. I made the mistake of sharing my plans to deep fry some skin later. Grumbling something about "...ass growing larger just talking about it" she was gone.

LMAO@ Myself

10 minutes later...
My stomach is growling so loud I thought someone was at the door.
The house is already filling with "that" smell.
For those of you who do whole pig roasts, it's "that" smell.
For those of you who don't, imagine...
A lite scent of hickory wood smoke + bacon + pork roast + butter + "love" = "THAT" smell.

Is it 2pm yet? (My stomach typed that)

Food pRon!!!

Glamor Photo of the Picking sauce
pickinsauce.jpg

The Package!!!! 30 more mintes and I can start steaming my hands and nibbling hot pork!
resting.jpg

LMAO@ Myself

10 minutes later...
My stomach is growling so loud I thought someone was at the door.
The house is already filling with "that" smell.
For those of you who do whole pig roasts, it's "that" smell.
For those of you who don't, imagine...
A lite scent of hickory wood smoke + bacon + pork roast + butter + "love" = "THAT" smell.

Is it 2pm yet? (My stomach typed that)

stay on target..... STAY ON TARGET!

Attachments

• sw.jpg
    sw.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 159
Man! I almost feel like I was there smelling it cook. Can't taste it though.:biggrin:

You are KILLING ME over here!!!! I can't wait either. That's for the recipe of the Picking sauce!

Thanks so much for taking us through your cook. Looks fantastic!!

• Thanks
Reactions: jed
Results!

2-16-2010 3:00 pm CST

The package sat and rested from 1:00 pm until 2:00 pm. Pulled the foil back being careful not to steam off any important pieces of myself and found a little chunk of heaven.

As I removed the skin the entire roast just sort of unfolded and started falling apart. The skin texture itself was almost buttery, foiling certainly helped tenderize that bit.
pullin001-365x274.jpg
pullin002-365x274.jpg

You can see the steam rising, the meat is even more tender than it looks. You can see the shredding and flaking tenderness in action here. I really didn't need to work or pull the meat any, it just sort of fell apart into the right consistency.
pullin003-365x274.jpg
pullin004-365x274.jpg

Over all, this meat turned out completely like a whole pig roast. I'm very pleased with the flavor, texture, and moisture levels.

Something else notable: The Rear leg cut was actually about midway between foot and knee and all the way up to the shoulder/hip including the hip bones. As you can see in one of the photos below, there really wasn't much waste involved even with the bones. Maybe 2 pounds of waste.

Two full 1/2 hotel pans from one 20# roast, that I can get used to!
pullin007-365x274.jpg
pullin0052-365x274.jpg

And the money shots!!! This plate didn't look like this long and was licked clean about 4 minutes later!
pullin008.jpg

pullin009.jpg

Dayyyuuuuummmmmm!! I'm really hungry now!! I'd so hit that. Don't forget the skin pron for us if you get to it!

Thanks for the play by play. That was fun!

No, I didn't throw out the skin!!! Of course not, this stuff is too tender to make go away. Sliced into roughly 1" x 2" strips and being chilled for now. I'm pretty sure there will be one more update later with some deep frying results!
skin002.jpg

skin003.jpg

2-16-2010 3:30 pm CST

One stuffed, pleased, and sleepy BBQ Cook here. Thanks for sharing this UDS Whole Pork Leg cooking experience, it has been my pleasure sharing it. I'm going to take a little cat nap and dream of pulled pork sandwiches, deep friend pork rinds, and left-over al-pastor style tacos with cilantro, fresh sliced onions, and plenty of limes.

Rich Edwards, EatRBBQ.com

Back