My Stoker (Rocks Barbque) Experience so far (LONG)

G$

is One Chatty Farker
I wanted to share with the Brethren my experience with the stoker so far. I posted some of this elsewhere as well.

I ordered a Stoker from Rock's a few weeks ago. When I ordered, they advised me a portion of my order would not be in until later the next week. I sent an email maybe a week to ten days after ordering to check the status. I received a reply to my email, in LESS THAN 10 minutes. The response was virtually immediate, and they advised me the order would ship March 23rd. A day or two later, I received a shipping number, indicating my kit was already on the way. What a pleasant surprise - ahead of schedule.

My order arrived on March 22nd, again ahead of schedule. After opening the box, I had one request and one question, so I again sent them an email. I had a response in LESS THAN TEN minutes again! (My request was for them to ship me something, which they did via priority mail and I received it two days later.)

The duration between the time I placed the order to the day it was delivered was 17 days.

I will use the stoker for both home cooks on my WSM22 as well as competiton cooking running multiple smokers (eventually). For now, I only ordered a single cooker set up with the intent to add additional fans and probes as needed.

Prior to receiving the stoker, I downloaded the stoker manual, Amir's stokerlog software, and Rock's internet configuration pdf. I scanned the documents for a few minutes, and installed stokerlog to become vaguely familiar with how they will work. I also ordered a MadCatz wireless gaming adapter with the intent of hooking the stoker up to it for wireless connectivity while at home. I read the WGA pdf file to become familiar with the manual setup process since my network is not WPS.

The day the stoker arrived, I fired up the WGA and configured it to act as a bridge on my home network. This took 5 minutes because I miskeyed the last octet of the IP address when connecting to the WGA during setup.

I then powered up the stoker, connected it to the WGA, and plugged in the pit probe and fan. I located the stoker on my home wireless network to validate what IP address it was using and to note it's MAC. This took 5 minutes.

I launched stokerlog, connected to the stoker over wireless, and renamed the pit probe. I set target temps, watched the fan kick on, and set target temps to make sure it turned off. I played with this for about 5 minutes. Stoker log did throw up an exception error at one point, but I can not recall the circumstance and I don't think the program crashed.

Lastly, I configured my router to forward internet traffic to the stoker, and confirmed that I could reach the stoker from both my phone and a computer outside the LAN. This took 5 minutes. And so the stoker sat for most of the week.

Today is the first day I have used the stoker on the smoker.

Feeding the Stoker pit probe through my guru eyelets was a TIGHT fit, but it fed through. Attaching the large WSM adapter to the WSM22 was a breeze. I shut down all other bottom vents, programmed the stoker to 210, and dumped 25 mostly lit coals in to the center of the fire ring which was filled with exactly 9 pounds of blue Kingsford and three or four wood chunks. Water pan was empty but foiled. Weather was upper 50s at the start, with a stiff, annoying and sometimes gusting wind. I hate wind.

The stoker overshot 210 by more than 10 degrees, but this was not really the result of the stoker blower. I think it would have over shot if every vent had been closed. (My access door leaks more than I'd like. I strap it closed with bengees when I remember, which I did 30 minutes after loading the cooker).

I reset the target temp to 220, which is where I am going to cook today. I also shut the exhaust vent down about half way. Again, the WSM overshot by about 10 degrees, and again, not the stoker's "fault" as the fan was only briefly on at the beginning of the ramp up. In any case, this small, 10 minute overshoot is perfectly acceptable to me. The cooker quickly settled in to 220, which is where it has been for over 90 minutes.

I noticed that the stoker, smartly, does not kick the fan on right as temps dip below the target. It must use some log of past temp stability to determine if it 'really' needs to turn the blower on. SInce the WSM is stable by nature, this is especially nice. You can see form the graph that the stoker let the cooker run at roughly 219 degrees for over a half an hour before deciding it needed to start a blowing cycle to keep the temp at target.

So what am I actually cooking? Well .... the pork butt that I bought yeterday was foul when I opened the package - :mad2: . Very annoying. The receipt is on the way to the store for a refund. I am marinating 16 thighs for some competition tweaking, and I have 15 hot links to put on as well, so all is not lost.

Here is the stokerlog grap so far. Darnit, off by .1 degree......

Attachments

• stoker3.jpg
    stoker3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 506
Very nice. I love mine too. Still havent done my own write up, but i will
kris

Wow, I got my stoker last week too. I still have to get a wireless connector to hook up to my router, but I tried her out anyway and I cannot believe the difference in the cook ... it's like my WSM can all of a sudden think and communicate with me :-D

This picture is like R2/D2 in his formative years

Attachments

• Stoker 004.jpg
    Stoker 004.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 469
Yeah, I plan to do that G$. I want to get the Cajun Bandit upgrade package next payday. It has two eyelets and I'll get one extra fr the rack probe. Right now I got them threaded through the door to avoid kinking the wires...

I am on my way yo wally world to get a wireless connector that will adapt to the ethernet outlet

You say "I configured my router to forward internet traffic to the stoker..."
How?

That's probably only a question that you can answer as it regards your router. right?

I've been using my Stoker for about a month and have it working on a wireless router so that I can use Stoker log and the Stoker's built-in web interface while within range of the wireless adapter.

Today I have successfully configured a Linksys Gaming Router WGA54G to work with the Stoker and I can access the Stoker from any PC on my LAN but now I need to figure out how to access it from outside the LAN.

If I get it working I'll chime back in.

G$ - can you post a pic of how you installed the eyelets on your WSM? Are you using some type of rubber to protect the thermocouple wire from getting nicked by the sheet metal? If so - where did you get them?

Oregon, It's not that hard. You need to access your main router and locate two functions: Port forwarding and Address Reservations.

First since your stoker is already connected to your network, find the "attached devices" section and get the MAC Address of your stoker. If you can't find this in your router's program, look in your stoker's manual and there is a way to access it through your Information menu.

Once you have the MAC Address, you want to go to the Address Reservation section and assign a specific IP Address of your choice to the Stoker's MAC Address. I would pick an IP Address high enough in your range (should be listed in the basic settings tab of your router) that you don't have to worry about another computer getting that address when your stoker isn't turned on. (For instance my stoker's IP is 192.168.1.10 since I rarely have 9 devices hooked up to my home network. Once you finish this address reservation, every time your stoker connects to the network it will have the same IP Address, the one you assigned to it.

next find the "Port Forwarding" feature on your main router. make a new rule and assign the IP Address that you made in the previous step for your stoker to port 80 (some routers will just say "Port:" and others will have a start and end port, put them both at 80).

Now, go back to the main settings page on your router and find the IP Address from your internet service provider (some routers list it clearly, others you have to hunt for it. Using this IP Address (not the 192.168..... one, it will be pretty different) Type it into the address bar of your internet browser. IF everything is right it'll pull up the stoker's server. Try it on a computer not connected to your network, should be the same results.

i figured it out... the Stoker had to be set to use DHCP (found out how to do that by RTFM). My IP address is still dynamic but according to some other comcast users, it will stay the same until the modem has to reboot. I'm okay with that. Even when it does change, at least now I know how to see what it is.

Thanks for the help!!!

G$ - can you post a pic of how you installed the eyelets on your WSM? Are you using some type of rubber to protect the thermocouple wire from getting nicked by the sheet metal? If so - where did you get them?

Oh sorry, just saw this. FWIW the eyelets I use on my WSMs are the Guru ones. They are narrower than the Stoker probes like to really fit nicely through, so I have to be careful when inserting them. Do a search for guru eyelets on line and you will find them. No rubber needed, the grommets are depp enough to prevent damagefrom bending/cutting the probes.

Back