My next kettle grill - need help

that looks great. cant wait to see your first cook on it!!!

That is a nice kettle! I love my ‘98 green Mastertouch Weber but if I was buying today the SnS kettle would be high on my list. There are few things more versatile than a kettle grill. If you need any extra motivation, Chud’s BBQ YouTube channel has been running a kettle series where he uses a Weber with the Slow and Sear deluxe charcoal basket and the SnS grate. He just posted a brisket cook. Great content

First cook. I went for a simple cook. Chicken thighs and wings

7U25pHYh.jpg

Til8AZKh.jpg

It felt good. The forth leg makes it feel sturdy. It does not wobble when I move the pieces around. The probe hole is a good thing. It held 350 all along three batches with about two third chimney of lump. The cook felt more laid back which is a very good thing.
Meat came out as expected. I don't think there was a taste difference.

Next up salmon tomorrow for a holiday dinner. See how it handles low temps. Albeit a short cook.

The salmon cook was a good experience. Setting and holding easily at 250. I did not try to adjust any further. I used only the smoke port for intake and it was very thin opened. Just a 1-2 mm. The top vent was a quarter open. That held 250. I know the parts and lid are not seasoned with grease yet so some air goes in and out without control. Trying to fiddle with that would be useless. After a few more cooks it will be better.

The included lid thermometer seems very accurate. Showing almost the same temp as the digital grate probe.

And cleaning was easy. I used foil on the drip pan. Collect and throw away. Ashes down the hatch. Some Ashes are not pushed down though. It seems the 5 flaps are not flush with the kettle bottom. I will need to look into that.

The outcome is what you would expect from charcoal and pecan chunks in a kettle. It was good and not different then the Webber as I remember.

F5i2tpkh.jpg

Back