My new WSM!

djoseph74

Knows what a fatty is.
2013-01-08

Thanks to everyone who helped me pick it out!

So shiny and puurdy!~

ZERO need to "season" WSM's, complete waste of charcoal and time. Load it up and start cooking ASAP. :)

So shiny and puurdy!~

ZERO need to "season" WSM's, complete waste of charcoal and time. Load it up and start cooking ASAP. :)

That's what everyone says, but Harry Soo said to season it. lol I know, I know, he's competing professionally... What I'm doing now is burning off the residue. The grates and inside had quite a bit. I'm going to fire something up tomorrow night.

Congrats on your new cooker and good luck with it!

Sent from my Android phone.

It'll most likely be a boat load of ribs. I started the initial residue burn, and will season it all day tomorrow.

No no! You season the meat, not the cooker! :heh:

I would wash the cooking grates with dish detergent and water and fire that baby up! This is not a UDS that may have had something else in it that you need to get rid of.

I just acquired a 22.5 WSM too. I also have a 18.5 WSM and mini-WSM. Unfortunately I have too much frozen pulled pork, ribs and brisket in the freezer to smoke any of those. While I draw down on that, I'm watching for chicken to go on sale.

Modifications? None are required as it will work well out of the box. But here are a couple things I do on mine.

• Put in a small eyelet for thermometer probes just below the level of the top grate. I just get plain eyelets at the H/W store rather than get the ones that replace the support bolts.
  • Put high temperature silicone along the grooves on the top and bottom of the mid section. It will eventually seal by itself from smoke buildup but I had the silicone from when I did this on my 18.5.
  • Put 1/4" bolts through the internal supports midway betwen top and bottom grates long enough to reliably support a third grate. I like to lay my ribs flat and this allows 50% additional capacity.

Back