My new WSM!

For what it's worth, we've cooked on (and won with) WSMs that came directly out of the box at the contest. The porcelain is non-porous, so seasoning isn't an issue. You will find that the WSM's joints are a little leakier until gunk builds up, but it's not a major problem.

Hats off to you cooking in the snow! The one issue with the WSM is its lack of insulation; any wind will steal the little bubble of heat that develops around it. If you'd like to try a jacket for it instead of walling off the gazebo, the big hardware stores carry rolls of stuff that's essentially bubblewrap coated with mylar on both sides. Cheap, lightweight, easy to trim into a cylinder just the right height to shield your cooker (cut generously enough so that it doesn't wrap tight to the sides of the cooker, to avoid scorching/melting). You can even buy stick-on velcro to keep the edges of the jacket secured to itself.

Congratulations on your new cooker! You're going to love that thing. Hundreds of cooks and two full sets of them later, we still do.

No no! You season the meat, not the cooker

LOL I figure that out real quick after mentioning it. I just let it do its initial run w/o food to burn away the residue. Thanks for the mod tips!

Hats off to you cooking in the snow!

Thanks! I actually love the winter. It was 27 out last night and I was holding it steady at 400 degrees. I have had trouble with my kettle before I put up the tarps. I'll definitely look into the material for a wrap for it, thanks for the info.

What is that white stuff on the ground? Why is there no smoke?

That was me neglecting to shield my patio from the winter :) I'll have some meat on there tonight or tomorrow and will post some pictures with smoke.

Thanks everyone! I'm excited!

Nice pick up on the 22", i just did a 27# turkey on my top rack and it came out phenomenal (plenty of space)

It'll most likely be a boat load of ribs. I started the initial residue burn, and will season it all day tomorrow.

Thanks!

I understand seasoning cast-iron (which i do to my ci skillet) but im not clear on what that actually means for the WSM. how is this done?

if you think you love your new bbq pit brandy new and shiney, wait till you get a 1/2 dozen smokes under your belt and you walk by it when the sun hits it and the aroma hits you....... make your stomach growl!

have fun, post pics of your cooks.

I understand seasoning cast-iron (which i do to my ci skillet) but im not clear on what that actually means for the WSM. how is this done?

Some of the pros, Harry Soo (bbq pitmasters season 1 specifically) recommend it. The reasoning is to get some aroma in there and that the first few smokes on a WSM are hotter. I've had a lot of people say its not needed here, so I'm going to skip it and use the bacon to make some smoked bacon sandwiches instead :becky:
-Dan

Nice rig and nice wind break setup. After your burn out, throw some chicken or a fatty on it for its initial smoke.

Some of the pros, Harry Soo (bbq pitmasters season 1 specifically) recommend it. The reasoning is to get some aroma in there and that the first few smokes on a WSM are hotter. I've had a lot of people say its not needed here, so I'm going to skip it and use the bacon to make some smoked bacon sandwiches instead :becky:
-Dan
I think this is more geared toward getting a piece of comp meat. I "seasoned" mine with bacon, chicken, and one of the best pork butts I have done. This was AFTER I did a full load of charcoal 350 degrees to burn off oil.

Congrats on the new WSM, I got mine for Xmas can't wait for my maiden voyage on the thing. We've been in a bit of a cold spell (was 6* when I rolled out of bed the other day) so I've been putting it off. Warm spell on its way though so I think Sunday it is. Maybe some ribs to watch the Pats game with.

I got the 22.5 for Christmas and every day since then it has been cold, nasty, and today we got 3.5 inches of rain so mine is just sitting unused between the 18.5 and my big offset on the patio. I am hoping it will clear up this weekend so I can throw together a seasoning cook. I admire your fortitude in being able to cook with snow on the ground. Down here, it's usually nice about 300 days per year, so I am totally spoiled and wussified with respect to weather.

Last edited:
That is a beautiful cooker. I used my WSM for 7 years and have cooked just about everything you can imagine. Congratulations! You are going to love it!

That brings me back. That was the first smoker I owned before I moved up to a bigger stick burner. It will serve you well.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm excited to start smoking! (hopefully tomorrow)

The key, I've found, for cold, rainy, snowy weather is just a good grill gazebo. Plus you have to like the cold..

You'll love it. I ran one dry run on mine and then cooked some butts. I've got about 10-12 cooks on it now and it is sealed up pretty good. Couldn't be happier.

The WSMs make BBQ-ing easy, as everyone told me before I found one on CL. Boy, were they right. Temps hold well, even in the cold. Good luck, you'll make loads of good food on it! Winter BBQ rocks!

Back