My first solo. And... I have a name...

Best of luck to you.

<<Best Ambiance>>

What part of what animal is that?

I like the idea of competition, but the more I understand it, it stands for everything I`m agianst. Originality. Trying to match one`s skills to a group of people that 'seem' to have a certain way something must taste? Sometimes I wanna enter one of these things to blow there taste buds out. Cooking (any style), is like music. An endless combination of notes, when composed together a certain way, leads to a good song. And, most of the time, a new arangement is the best sounding music.

But then agian, a lot of people are brain washed to listening to top 40. Go figure?

Just thought of something. Are there any comps that judge strickly BBQ that is spiced up?

Cool. Will see ya there Ron. Looks like we'll have our banner done in time to roll out the new team name this year......The BBQ-tioners.

Make sure to stop by and say hello. Bloody mary's will be served very early.

And yeah, that was us last year that brought home the hardware for ribs & sauce.

As far as the banner...wish I would have seen this earlier. I found a guy advertising on another site that is incredibly cheap. $6 per sq ft. You can check for yerself if the qulaity is anygood at the cookoff. I should have it mid week next week, so we'll see...

http://www.guerillabanners.com/aboutus.html

Bryan

Fark
Ron, I might be able to help you out a little.

We'll talk about it this week, but I was thinkin the ribber was the same day as the parade but from the link, the ribber is on Sunday, and not Monday during the parade

Sunday around noon I need to be somewhere else, but I can maybe help with set up and such.

Here's a tip from Bryan. Stagger your ribs.

Judging starts at 1pm(I think). If you pass round #1, they will come back for another round, have a fresh rack ready for each round.

PM Mad_dawg and he'll fill you in on the current process

drbbq said:
I cooked there a few times when I lived in Willowbrook. First year, I asked ahead if I could infringe a little with my EZ up. They said sure. When I got there, another guy was doing it already, so we shared the middle spot.
Then some snooty bitches came over and told me I had to take it down immediately.
I told them that I wasn't an a-hole., and I didn't want them thinking I was an a-hole., and that I'd be happy to move it but didn't want to be known as an a-hole., because I wasn't an a-hole. and I thought I had permission. Bad move. They later showed up as on site judges.
Did I mention the Margaritas at 8:00am?

Another time I brought my Jedmaster trailer, and backed it in my one spot. They didn't like that either. Everybody else had WSMs and kettles, but I didn't win the Most Original Cooking Method award. The organizers didn't like me very much.

They finally changed to blind judging and I got third one year. A guy with a roaster on his grill and some cherry sauce used to win all the time. Some of the cooks are good guys.

So I probably shouldn't mention your name, huh? :)

I can just see the looks on everyone's faces when you pulled up with the JedMaster! :D

mad_dawg said:
Cool. Will see ya there Ron. Looks like we'll have our banner done in time to roll out the new team name this year......The BBQ-tioners.

Make sure to stop by and say hello. Bloody mary's will be served very early.

And yeah, that was us last year that brought home the hardware for ribs & sauce.

As far as the banner...wish I would have seen this earlier. I found a guy advertising on another site that is incredibly cheap. $6 per sq ft. You can check for yerself if the qulaity is anygood at the cookoff. I should have it mid week next week, so we'll see...

http://www.guerillabanners.com/aboutus.html

Bryan

Look forward to meeting you, Bryan! I like the team name!

I doubt I'll have a banner by then. I'm probably going to order a Brethren Banner, but I doubt it can be turned around in a week!

Definitely don't mention my name to the organizers, but there's some good guys cooking. They live for that event.

There's one guy there named Dick Daly. I'd change my name.

Big Kahuna Q or something like that was a friend of mine named Greg Winestock. His wife helped me with my now famous Bahama Mama recipe.

OK... Here's my preliminary list of what I am taking. I started off with the competition checklist that was posted here, and pared it down since this is a smaller contest.

WSM - cook the ribs and a couple of fatties for snacks
Kettle - for glazing the ribs
two bags of charcoal (overkill, but just incase)
Charcoal chimney
turkey fryer burner (starting coals and heating sauce, etc.)
Wood chunks
Ribs (membrane removed)
pre-made rub
pre-made homemade sauce
tongs (couple of pairs)
camping knife set
turn-in stuff (don't know yet if they provide contianers or if I need my own)
Garnish (don't know yet)
Peper towels
garbage bags
rubber gloves
flexible cutting boards
two tables
chair
table cloths for "ambiance"
table decorations
mascot (pink pig made from a milk can)
canopy (just in case)
Fire extinguisher and first aid kit
bus tubs (2 or 3)
dishwashing liquid
7 gals of water
rib racks (?)
Daughter
Daughter's friend to keep daughter busy during the slow period :)
Cell phone to retrieve daughter when needed :D

I'll add to this as I think of things... Suggestions welcome...

Ron,

You may have taken these off the list already....just thought I'd mention them....

Aluminum Foil
Aluminum Pan(s) for leftovers
Clorox Wipes
Temp Probe/Gauge
Snacks/Drinks
Cooler (if you're gonna be coolering the ribs)

I'm sure others will chime in.

All of those are on my mental list, but I forgot about them when I typed the list... Thanks for the reminder!

Don't forget...
a first aid kit
sunblock
insect repellant.

And rain gear.

OK... The car is loaded, and I MEAN loaded! My Pathfinder was too small! I had to borrow my wifes Envoy XL! I put a lot of the small stuff into a big bin to make it easier. I have 10 gallons of water, 40 lbs of Kingsford, way too many wood chunks, and just about everything else I could stuff in! I'm taking 6 slabs of ribs, two fatties for snacks and some chicken wings for lunch.

One thing that I left off of my list... The digital camera!

We're leaving the house at 6:00AM. Check-in is at 7:00, and the first turn-in is 1:30...

Ron_L said:
OK... The car is loaded, and I MEAN loaded! My Pathfinder was too small! I had to borrow my wifes Envoy XL! I put a lot of the small stuff into a big bin to make it easier. I have 10 gallons of water, 40 lbs of Kingsford, way too many wood chunks, and just about everything else I could stuff in! I'm taking 6 slabs of ribs, two fatties for snacks and some chicken wings for lunch.

One thing that I left off of my list... The digital camera!

We're leaving the house at 6:00AM. Check-in is at 7:00, and the first turn-in is 1:30...
Have fun and cook some killer ribbies :lol:

TIM

Well... The Naperville Last Fling Rib Cookoff is over for this year. I'll provide a report in two fashions... An Executive Summary (for those with short attention spans (e.g., Executives)) and the unabridged versions (for Brethren you enjoy reading my rambling postsw :D )

Executive Summary: My feet hurt, my back hurts, my forehead is sunburned, and we didn't get a call, but we had fun.

Unabridged version: Had a great day! This was a fun local comp, with 20 teams cooking on everything from Traeger pellet cookers to a homenmade double 55-gallon drum cooker. Lots of WSMs, quite a few offsets.

We arrive at the site at 7:00 to find that it was fisrt-come, first-served for spaces. We grabbed a spot and got everything set up. I had the WSM coming up to temp and started preparing the ribs. The first round of judging was broken into three waves (they had 6 judges). Basedon my space number (given out shortly after we arrived), we were scheduled to be in the first wave with a rib and sauce pickup time of 1:30, so I started cooking based on that time. About an hour later, they announced that they were changing the way they assigned pickup times and they did a random draw. Fortunately, I drew 1:30, so my schedule was OK. Some of the guys, Mad_Dawg included, had planned on a later pickup time based on their spot number, but then drew an earlier time. Mad_Dawg had planned on 2:30, but then drew 1:30. After the first round, they were going to pick the top 6 and have them turn in additional ribs and sauce, so I held back three slabs to be ready for a second turn-in, just in case.

I put a regular and a hot fatty on with the first ribs, for snacks later, and spent some time talking with the other guys. Besides Bryan, I met Rick from Smoke Hunters, and Joe (can'tremember Joe's team) both of whom I have conversed with on the Virtual Silver Bullet site, plus a bunch of others. Once the fatties were done, my daughter cut them up into bitesized pieces and passed them around to the other cookers (I held a few pieces back for me!). The fatties were a big hit! We also made some Chocolate-Strawberry Paninis as a practice for the dessert categori at Peoria with Parrothead next weekend. Tasted great, but didn't look like they should have. Then we made some great wings (I used a Honey-Chili sauce that I bought at Williams-Sonoma) and ate them for lunch. Each time, my daughter was the Ambassador of Food, and she delivered samples to Bryan and some of the other guys. Bryan sent back some turds that were great!

At 1:00, we pulled the first three slabs and glazed them and got them ready for turn in. They were done just right, and I was very happy with the results. We also turned in two little cups of my homemade sauce. Then we waited for the judging of our wave to end and then the turn-in and judging of the other two waves, and we didn't make I into the final group for sauce or ribs. Bummer. The last three slabs were a late lunch and snacks for passers-by.

BUT! I learned a lot and made some new friends. After we knew we were done for the day, my daughter asked me if it was all worth it. You guys with kids who have hit their teenage years, or have fled the coop will understand my answer best...

"I was able to spend an entire day with my 16 yeard old daughter. Of course it was worth it!"

As usual, she rolled her eyes and gave me The Look! :shock:

Post Mortem: We were pretty well organized, and I was vey happy with the ribs. They may have been the best that I have turned out. I can't complain about our performance. I did get to taste the winning sauce, and, between you and me, it was farking ketchup! I was not impressed. That team also placed in ribs, and their ribs were so heavily sauced that all I could taste. So, for next year, I'm gonna make to sweetest, stickiest sauce I can find, and I'm gonna let my ribs soak in it until they are saturated! :) Also, they had an "Ambiance" category, and these people take it seriously. The team that took second place did a ranch theme and they had bales of hay, steer heads and a stuffed bear! Another team did a Red, White and Blue theme. The guys that on, however, were pretty clever. It was Rick, from the VWB site, and his team is Smoke Hunters, so he did a hunting theme, complete with duck and goose decoys, including some of those decoys with the spinning wings. It looked pretty cool.

I have some pics, and as soon as I can get them off the camera I will post a like to them

Sorry for the long post...

RON- great report!

I really wish I had gotten more quality days like that with my two daughters when they were growing up.

The only thing I "think I know" about amateur or celebrity judges (or friends and neighbors--same thing) is:
SWEET and SAUCED TO DEATH is the way to go :twisted:
And, FALL OFF THE BONES RIBS are DONE to them :twisted:

For our "People's Choice Butts", Chad and I sauce them-- to what we consider-- death! Never had enough to get the public's attention.

Sounds like a great day and glad ya had a great time.

Proud of you!

TIM

Back