THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need to learn this, as well -
BTW, next and far more important, learn to keep it honed and sharpened

One of my Dexters is easy to sharpen, the others never gets real sharp.
I need a 6" boning knife for deer and fish. Pretty stiff, and thin.
Any suggestions?

I figured it would be good to use for trimming SL Ribs. It's really maneuverable and fits good in my hand.

Herein lies the best reason for you to buy and use this knife if it is of a good quality steel that sharpens up and stays that way for a reasonable amount of time and use. If it fits and feels good in YOUR hands, then it will be a knife that you will enjoy.

I agree that a longer blade would fit ME better, but I like the way a longer blade fits my style of use. My wife prefers a shorter blade that is identical to my 8 inch knife for her uses. Fit and feel should be the deciding factor in the purchase of a quality knife.

Omar

Any suggestions?
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47513-6-Inch-Boning-Fibrox/dp/B000QCNJ3C"]Amazon.com: Victorinox 47513 6-Inch Flex Boning Knife with Fibrox Handle: Boning Knives: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21b7Hb8JosL.@@AMEPARAM@@21b7Hb8JosL[/ame]

This post is one of the reasons I love this forum. I have a couple of decent knives that i have not been able to use for a couple of years due to dullness. While researching some of the knives I have seen mentioned, I found a couple of sharpening videos. I pulled out my grandfathers whetstone and sharpened a Chicago Cutlery and a French SS chefs knife and they are now awesome. Of course, I am now looking at purchasing a Japanese knife and waterstone. Oh, and Bludawg, I also want an Old Hickory butcher knife.

i have a pile of henkels that do everything under the sun, but i really love this knife. is a go too blade for taking things (ribs, chicken, large roasts, etc) apart. nice stiff blade which i prefer.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NEW7ZK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00"]Amazon.com: Basics P94823 6" White Curved Boning Knife with Polypropylene Handle: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21xVMv69p9L.@@AMEPARAM@@21xVMv69p9L[/ame]

Any suggestions?
You might have to reset the edge on those that don't sharpen easily. Generally, it means the edge of the knife has become so dull that it needs to get the original angle set back to 22 to 24 degrees on each side. I really like my Dexter-Russel Sani-safe 6" stiff boning knife. I don't care for the Basics line, the steel seems a little less capable. Although the price is quite different.

I also like the Old Hickory 6" household boning knife

Here's my collection, I use the cheaper knives the most , they hold an edge decently , I run them through sharpener when they get dull , I'm not a production chef , my knives range from $120.00 down to $10.00 , the fish knife is great for trimming brisket

Wustof
Cutco
Rapola
Farberware x 3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 47
Here's my collection, I use the cheaper knives the most , they hold an edge decently , I run them through sharpener when they get dull , I'm not a production chef , my knives range from $120.00 down to $10.00 , the fish knife is great for trimming brisket

Wustof
Cutco
Rapola
Farberware x 3

Nice set of knives. Tell me about the Santoku, looks like a chefs knife. Is there a specific purpose for it?

Back